Non EU Marriage cerificate Help
Posted: 04 April 2011 09:49 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2011-04-04

I’m Russian citizen married to British citizen for over 5 years. We lived in UK and Ireland and I have residency on both countries. Just moved to Spain and getting residency here. They have requested new marriage certificate ( no longer than 3 month old). Russia issues marriage certificate only single time for rest of your life like birth certificate unless you lose it or get divorced. Did anybody come across to this problem? To get new marriage certificate I need to go either to Russia and say I have lost it or I need to give power of Attorney to somebody in Russia and they will do the same , for that I need to go to Madrid and spend a lot of money to organise it all. Is there any ways to avoid getting new one. Russian Embassy can provide me with a document confirming that marriage certificate is legal and that it’s only given once in your life. But would authorities here accept it? Please let me know if you know anything about non EU marriage certificates. I have Appostil stamp and translated my current certificate but But it’s 5 years old at this stage. Which didn’t metter in UK or Ireland.

Thank you

Posted: 04 April 2011 11:46 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  453
Joined  2008-12-30

I’m Russian citizen married to British citizen for over 5 years. We lived in UK and Ireland and I have residency on both countries.

if you still have residencies for both, apply for either british or irish citizenship. it will save you a lot of paper work.

Russian Embassy can provide me with a document confirming that marriage certificate is legal and that it’s only given once in your life. But would authorities here accept it?

you can give it a try. you should contact the embassy since you are not the first russian in this situation. they should know what document they normally give to their citizens. in any case the russian government can always issue apostilled, certified true copies of the original.

I have Appostil stamp and translated my current certificate but But it’s 5 years old at this stage. Which didn’t metter in UK or Ireland.

it matters because a new one will have notations if you have gotten a divorced.

Posted: 05 April 2011 12:00 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2011-04-04

I have called to Russian Embassy and they are not really sure either. They are telling me to ask Spanish part, which is not helpful. But this is not normal for Russians we only get this document once. I can’t apply for citizen ship in UK or Ireland since I’m not living there , and you need to be certain amount of time in the country. So it’s will need to be Spanish system. It’s not easy to find other Russians in same situation , because most people moving to country as soon as they get married. And we been married for 5 years. I was reading other forums and can’t find clear answer. That’s why I’m hoping that somebody here went tru same situation and will know what is the best way to do it. New marriage certificate not going to have a note that we are not divorced. It’s will be just replacement copy for older one.

Posted: 12 April 2011 03:38 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2011-04-12

Hi there, i think you should approach the russian embassy and ask them to may be update your marriage certifcate in spainsh is called actualizado.  Basically the embassy will sign and date it on the back and this document is accepted by the spanish authorities

Posted: 19 May 2011 11:23 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2011-05-19

Get your husband to contact the british consulate ask them if they recognise the marrage certificate if yes then Spain must , the consulate can give you a letter to say that , it happened to me with my Argentine certificate ,