seguridad social
Posted: 07 April 2011 05:12 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2011-02-17

This may have been posted elsewhere, but I cannot find details of the process.

I have finally received a NIE (after nearly 5 months of constant work - american citizen here so it’s not so easy). Now I need to register at the social security office in Barcelona. There appear to be several. Do I just go to one with an application and wait in line and they process my paperwork the same day? Someone said go to the ayuntamiento, but this doesn’t seem like the right place to go.

Any info on how long I’ll need to wait for a SSN? What I need to bring with me?

Thanks!

Posted: 11 April 2011 11:24 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2010-12-11

I believe your husband has to go with you if you do not have a contracted job yet. When we went in and asked for information, the lady told us that we would also need an original marriage license but I did not have my NIE at that time as it was processing. However, I think if you have your residency ID card, you should be fine as it states your husbands name on the back and the fact that you are resident of spain thru marriage to a european. There should be a certain office for where you are resident, but I know here that the ayuntamiento does not do it.

Posted: 12 April 2011 02:00 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2011-02-17

Ok I found it, there are actually tons of these offices. I went with my husband and took all THREE marriage certificates (US, International, Italian) and my NIE. I got my number, very quickly I might add 😊