1 of 2
Your INTERNET SPEED ?
Posted: 05 June 2011 04:39 PM  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2855
Joined  2007-10-19

Your INTERNET SPEED ?
Test your Internet connection bandwidth to locations around the world with this interactive broadband speed test. you all used the net so let see how good are bad it is here in Spain
speedtest.net is good site , only do this try do a survey
1 post you download upload and pin please
2 test in side spain please

Thanks
jurdy

Posted: 05 June 2011 05:37 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  818
Joined  2006-06-15

Contracted 3Mbps… with Movistar/Telefonica ADSL

At this moment 1430hrs Sunday 5th June, download is 330Kbps, upload 240Kbps ping 190ms over 200kms route.

Bloody awful (again); we have to contact Movistar at least once a month; the problem is always in the Centro de Distrbucion in the village.

They come out, ‘fix it’ and it stays good for about two weeks and then gradually falls off again. When its good we get around 2.6Mbps down 260kbs up.

fb

Signature 

Help desperately needed

https://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Posted: 07 June 2011 08:17 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  744
Joined  2009-01-22

Just got 2.92 down and .30 upload

Using OLE service based on ethernet link (without a landline)

Signature 

Rob
http://spainreexposed.wordpress.com/

Posted: 10 June 2011 05:17 AM   [ # 3 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  235
Joined  2007-04-25

Ping: 707 ms

Download: 2.74 mb/s

Upload: 0.14 mb/s

However, I’m on a Tooway satellite system, as I’ve no land line. The base station for my service is in Turin, Italy, with Skylogic S.P.A.

Contracted is “up to” 3.60 mb/s download, 0.36 upload, with a 6 GB rolling cap over four weeks.

Upload speeds have always been good, frequently at speeds even double what I’m contracted. Upload speeds have rarely got near the 0.36 mb/s level though, with the average being half or slightly less. The ping… well, that’s about average for a satellite connection and usually between 700 to 1100 ms.

On the whole, it’s not been too bad. I’m able to download plenty of stuff fine, watch streaming media like movies and football matches, etc… though I do have to be careful I don’t go over my rolling limit.

My installer has notified me recently that there’s a better option than Tooway coming online soon, based at Goonhilly in Cornwall. I’m interested as the upload/download speeds are much better and the bandwidth caps are higher and less restrictive for the money. The only thing that’s putting me off at the moment, is that I’d have to have a new system (dish, modem, etc…) installed, so would have to outlay a good chunk of cash to do that. Having only had this system 18 months, I’m reluctant to pay out again for a new installation whilst this one is working ok.

The only thing that I can’t do with this setup, is any sort of online gaming that demands a good ping. It is possible, but the lag is so heavy it’s just not worth it.

Signature 

Visit our website - http://www.granadapropertyreform.com

“Dedicated to making your Spanish house a home”

Posted: 10 June 2011 05:21 AM   [ # 4 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-04-25

Just a thought for anyone struggling with the land-line connections, particularly with Telefonica…

Have a look around for WiMAX providers in your locality. Unfortunately it’s not available in my immediate location, as I’m in a valley with no line of site to local antennas. If you’re in range and able to get WiMAX though, when I have used it before, it was very reliable.

In Granada province, CableSur is one of the best WiMax providers.

Signature 

Posted: 10 June 2011 04:21 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2011-06-09

In a relatively new (6 years old) development in Playa Blanca Lanzarote, with a Movistar 10Mb package, I actually get 8.6 down, and 0.67 up.  I know others in older properties here who struggle to get 1Mb down.

Posted: 10 June 2011 06:46 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-06-15

Heath… Hi… long time no see!

finally got something like a reasonable ADSL speed after a week of either incredibly slow or as happened on Tuesday and Thursday no internet at all. Still not brilliant and nothing like the contracted speed but at least its usable.

As for WiMax, like your situation its not available to us, no line of sight to either Parapanda or another mast much closer to home near Cacin. Either way Iberbanda and CableSur very expensive for our purposes and capped at a very low level.

Signature 

Help desperately needed

Posted: 10 June 2011 08:40 PM   [ # 7 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  101
Joined  2011-03-15

I’m on cable R in Galicia, contracted 10M/s download, 1Mb/s upload.

with speedtest.net I got:

Ping 42mS.
D/L 9.27 Mb/s
U/L 0.97 Mb/s

Posted: 11 June 2011 06:45 PM   [ # 8 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-04-25
foxbat - 10 June 2011 06:46 PM

Heath… Hi… long time no see!

finally got something like a reasonable ADSL speed after a week of either incredibly slow or as happened on Tuesday and Thursday no internet at all. Still not brilliant and nothing like the contracted speed but at least its usable.

As for WiMax, like your situation its not available to us, no line of sight to either Parapanda or another mast much closer to home near Cacin. Either way Iberbanda and CableSur very expensive for our purposes and capped at a very low level.

That’s a shame when it comes to line of sight, just as it is for me too.

Andy in Los Olivares (who you know) has CableSur. He has no download caps and the upload/download speeds he’s contracted are better than what Telefonica are offering, having only just got around to setting his village up last year… and cheaper. When he saw that Telefonica were offering a package similar to yours in his village, he contacted CableSur to see what they could offer as an improvement. Rather than lose clients, as they have many in Los Olivares, they immediately offered double the upload/download speeds compared to what Telefonica were offering, for the same price.

Just goes to show, it never hurts to ask eh! Andy swears by CableSur and has rarely had any down time or issues with the service. Of course it may be different in other locations, but I do know that they were the first company to offer broadband internet in Los Olivares and I think, Moclin too. As such, they’ve a strong presence there and do their best to keep it that way.

Signature 

Posted: 26 July 2011 06:32 PM   [ # 9 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-19

rex4lake where are you ?

Posted: 26 July 2011 06:43 PM   [ # 10 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-06-15

jurdy…

using http://www.ip2location.com rex4lake appears to based in New York. His link is to a Miami based outfit.

Not at all relevant to this thread, or this forum…

Irrelevant SPAM.

fb

Signature 

Help desperately needed

Posted: 26 July 2011 08:02 PM   [ # 11 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-19

just wait for him come back are he get delete and banned , ,

The forums , (including the private message, blog and email systems), are not a venue for advertisements in any way. Please do not post promotional/advertising messages, urls, nor specifics that would lead people to your site/blog/product/service. However, a line in your signature with a SINGLE link to your site is allowed. (For signature guidelines please Ask one of the Administrators/Moderators)

NO COMMERCIAL LINK TO WEBSITES http://www.spainexpat.com/spain/forum/viewannounce/9864_41/

We been stopping the spamming here for some time to get real people back on the fourm but we do hit on one are two now and then
For signature guidelines please Ask one of the Administrators/Moderators

jurdy

Posted: 09 August 2011 11:44 AM   [ # 12 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2011-08-03

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1424142746.png

3.75 Mbps down
0.66 Mbps up
Ping: 54ms

It’s supposed to be a 4MB down connection from Eurona (used to be Costa Blanca Broadband) so it’s not far off at all.  That’s our home connection from Pilar de la Horadada.  Since Eurona bought them I’ve noticed a lot less downtime with the connection.

The connection’s fast/stable enough to allow my daughter to access youtube while me and my son are both gamin (yep, almost 40 and still playing computer games).

Posted: 10 August 2011 04:44 AM   [ # 13 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-19

not cheap via Satellite .... and can be slow unless you take the top package
buy your hardware , 229.00 euros then 40.00 euros connection free for what ? and monthly airtime free to surf the net , not cheap

Posted: 10 August 2011 05:04 AM   [ # 14 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-06-15

At a rough estimate it would cost me around 150? per month to get the same amount of internet usage as I get from my totally unreliable Telefonica ADSL service. And all satellite internet services are capped and carry that ‘Fair usage Policy’ which is anything but fair to the customer.

Sorry but for me its a non-starter.

If someone can supply me with an uncapped, no FUP clause, satellite system that allows truly unlimited access at a constant download speed in excess of 5Mbps I might just be tempted to buy the kit, but until then…

By the way, Jurdyr… I thought we were clamping down on advertising…

fb

Signature 

Help desperately needed

Posted: 14 August 2011 11:35 AM   [ # 15 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  682
Joined  2007-11-01

We were looking into it a while ago as our internet/phone provider went belly up (and there seemed to be no optoins of other providers due to our campo location).
I have to agree with FB that it seems unless you get the top of the range, there are associated small issues (such as ping back etc, delay in conversation etc.)

Thankfully as time goes on there are more independent companies out there (admittedly some who are not going to be around long enough to fulfil their end of the bargain!), and we were pleased to find someone who COULD help. (Unlike Telefonica who said yes, but never followed through/ignored our petitions over and over) and we have a good (well good enough - urm, slight prob with voip of late, but only on the Voip cheap and not the voip phone service our provider uses.)....

We, like anyone, want the best deal possible, so we will go local ISP unless it is ‘not an option.’

1 2 > 
1 of 2