The Census and further information
Posted: 19 June 2011 07:27 PM  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  30
Joined  2008-12-26

The Census and further information
I have come across yet another forum where someone relocating to Spain was given incorrect information. I am sure we are all familiar with bar stool experts but this advice came from someone stating that they assisted the expatriate community to a NIE or assist with residence applications.  Be careful who you employ to carry out these services as there are agents who have no training or sufficient knowledge to carry these transactions. Spanish bureaucracy is not only complicated and often confusing, take into account that the rules are continually changing so it is essential to understand the system and the differences between obtaining an NIE or Resident status.  If you have decided to take up residency in Spain there is no need to obtain an NIE so avoiding the added costs and time involved. Apply for residence and your NIE will be included in the document. Other erroneous information is that to obtain the NIE, one would need to pay a visit to the town hall to register on the padron (census) the latter should only be carried out if you are taking out residency. You may not be planning to live in Spain full time and only need your fiscal number (Numero de identificacion extranjeros) so in this case registering on the census may alter your tax liabilities.
For those of you who have been on the system for many years remember to renew your and your family?s names on the census. When asked for proof that you are registered in the town hall and for any legal or fiscal transaction, you will be expected to provide an up to date issue of this certificate.

Signature 

Kind regards,
Myra
http://www.costaadvicebureau.com

Posted: 24 July 2011 03:30 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  682
Joined  2007-11-01

Myra,
Is the census you refer to the same as the Padron?
(I am guessing they do not have a 10 year census like they do in the UK? as the padron records, as you say, should be
kept up to date, therefore giving them the info they need to know).

SJ