working after marriage
Posted: 29 June 2011 11:32 PM  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2011-03-16

Hi everyone,

I’m Allison from the U.S. I haven’t posted here, but visit spainexpat everyday. I have gleaned lots of helpful information from this wonderful site. My question is this. I plan to marry my fianc? who is a SPanish citizen of Spain. I would also like to work teaching English after we are married if not before. How do I go about this? As far as I understand it, I have to wait till we are married to apply for my nei and targeta de residensia. I need these two cards before I can work. Am I correct? Or did I miss something. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. I plan to visit in August, so I will speak to Registro Civil and hopefully U.S. Embacy. Anyone had this happen? Thank you for any assistance 😊!

Allison

Posted: 29 June 2011 11:50 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

Correct, you’d have to wait until you are married and apply as his spouse before you get your targeta de residencia and right to work. You can, however, get your NIE before that, as well as your empadronamiento (neither of which give you the right to work though).

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 30 June 2011 12:36 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Joined  2011-03-16

Hi Expatriator,

Thank you so much for your reply. I will apply for my nei and empadranada before that. I didn’t know you could apply for your nei beforehand. THe less paperwork I have to do to get my targeta de residensia the better 😊. If I could get my nei before the targeta, it would help in terms of less paperwork to fill out.  THank you again. Have a great day.

Sincerely,
Allison

Posted: 04 July 2011 04:24 AM   [ # 3 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Joined  2011-03-16

Hi all,

One more question. I am thinking about staying in Spain more than 90 days. Should I apply for residencia before I marry? If I was able to get residensia can i change it once we are married to reflect I’m now married?  Thank you for any help.

Allison