Getting Married in Spain - Non-EU Foreigners Marrying a Spaniard

You have decided to tie the knot with your Spanish honey. The first thing you need to do is get all your US paperwork in order.

Posted by The Expatriator

A quick guide for what you will need to get married to a Spaniard as a non-EU citizen. This is based on a Madrid-based experience with a US citizen.

Non-EU foreigners wanting to get married to a Spaniard in Spain should take heed that the process is neither quick nor easy. Below is a quick guide for what you will need. This is based on a Madrid experience with a US citizen. Expect several months for the process.

Credit: Green Wedding Shoes

  1. Congratulations! You have decided to tie the knot with your Spanish honey. The first thing you need to do is get all your US paperwork in order. a. Birth certificate- This needs to be a less-than-three-month old copy. It must first bear the seal of the apostille (the issuing state does this) in order to make it legal in Spain. Once you have it, get it translated by an official translator into Spanish in Spain. b. Residence- If you have been in Spain for more than two years, make a cocktail for yourself and relax. If not, you will need to justify your residence in the US. In Spain there is empadronamiento to do this, we are not so ‘’fortunate’’ in the US. Any government office that is willing to write a letter stating your legal residence for the required period of time should suffice. Remember, Spain only requires the last two years. The issuing body then needs to notarize the letter and send it to the state for the apostille. Once in Spain, it will need to be translated. Personally, I was fortunate enough to have my tax office write the original in Spanish to save a step. Note: If you have been in Spain without being empadronado, shame on you. However, all is not lost- just have a Spaniard (old roommate, landlord, etc…) write a letter stating when and where you lived (specific time period) with a copy of their DNI.
  2. After you get your US documents sorted out, you will need to go to the US Embassy in Spain for two more papers. The first is one stating that you are free to marry, the second states that no Bonns need to be posted.  An appointment is required. What the embassy will not tell you, however, is that these then need to be taken to the Spanish Ministry of the Exterior for an apostille. You can make an appointment on the ministry’s web site to do this.
  3. You will have to get a special copy of your empadromiento for a wedding produced for you. Your local city hall can help you with that.
  4. Before you go to the registro civil, make photocopies of everything including your passport and your partners DNI. The registro will take those copies and the origional birth certificate.
  5. The day that you go to the registro, you must have a witness to begin the process. Preferably, this should be a Spaniard. They MUST accompany you and your partner. Also, do not forget your passport or NIE (if you have one). Go early and be prepared to wait several hours. The Madrid registro civil is a madhouse.
  6. Hopefully, when when you sit down to turn in your paperwork, all will be acceptable to the lovely civil servant. If not, don’t panic. You are “in the system” and you will just have to come back another day with the missing bits.
  7. Once everything is turned in correctly, you will have to wait a month or so for the registro to process everything. They will give you a date and call you if something is amok. After the wait at your appointment, you will be able to select a date for your wedding or take the approved paperwork packet to another city if you are to be married there.

Last updated 14 04 2015

Donation to

If you find this site helpful, please leave a donation for us. This will encourage us to remove ads, keep responding to your questions and add more great information about living in Spain to


If you'd like to ask a question for discussion, please mosey on over to the Spain Forum. See our posting rules and instructions here.

ekele said:


I am from Nigeria living in Germany with no document. My girlfriend is from Austria and is pregnant. We would like to get married in Spain and I will like her to also deliver in Spain.

Can you tell me the requirements and how the process is? I will be glad to get this information from you as time is no more on our side because she will soon deliver.


Harry Raymond North said:


Can anyone help i would like to rent a room with a Spanish family I did this in Estonia and it worked out well for the family and my self.
i don't smoke, social drinker, very clean, over 60 yrs and very fit. I would be willing to help with with work about the place i do like to keep busy.

Thank you


Register, then sign-in with your SpainExpat username to post your comments.

Go to Top

Recent Discussions
La Liga table , Spanish Football Round Up - By: jurdyr

Total Views: 10458, Last Post On: 01/12/2021 07:59 am By: Alessandro01

But what if I don’t like French Fries? - By: mightyfrea

Total Views: 13602, Last Post On: 01/12/2021 07:56 am By: Alessandro01

How do you spend your weekend in Spain? - By: Garry_Oldman

Total Views: 1909, Last Post On: 02/25/2019 11:21 pm By: Alessandro01

Online Shopping from Spain... who delivers? - By: The Expatriator

Total Views: 7511, Last Post On: 02/24/2019 05:24 pm By: TolDR

Inflatable swimming pools - for all the family! - By: susanspain

Total Views: 7332, Last Post On: 02/10/2019 10:23 am By: angelala

Top 10 Tips for Learning Spanish - By: don Pablo

Total Views: 6476, Last Post On: 02/09/2019 04:30 pm By: mikkelkasper

Spanish Culture and Lifestyle - By: hollysurly

Total Views: 3863, Last Post On: 02/06/2019 05:30 pm By: Kate2228

Recent Talkbacks
On EU Residency in Spain for EU Citizens, Their Spouses and Family Members, Dreamer said:

"Hi Billy,

The article has just been updated with all the new info."

On EU Residency in Spain for EU Citizens, Their Spouses and Family Members, redglasses said:

"Can a british resident live in spain? Is Britain considered part of the European Union?
What about taxes for running a business in Spain for an Expat?"

On Moving to Spain, rojo36 said:

"Glasgow Man and Van has a dedicated team of movers who can provide a reliable removals service to Spain. We are often able to move you along with your belongings if transport is a problem, keeping the cost down."

Expats on Facebook