1 of 2
Overstamping UK Driving License with Residencia number
Posted: 09 November 2007 09:53 AM  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  48
Joined  2007-04-19

Hi,
I have always known that if you are a driving a Spanish plated car with a UK driving license that the license has to be registered at Traffico to have your Residencia (or perhaps NIE?) number overstamped on it. I have been putting this off for literally years because I just can’t stand the thought of the joining the queue at Traffico in M?laga just to get the form so the question is, is the form available to download from anywhere on the net?
The Guardia in the area have been doing random checks and a few people have had their wrists slapped and I don’t want to be next!
I suppose I could always get a Gestor to do the deed but that seems a bit defeatist as I managed to get a UK care re plated here many years ago with very little help and precious little Spanish!
Regards from the mountains
Trudi

Posted: 09 November 2007 12:53 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2007-11-09

Holders of an EU Driving Licence
All valid EEC (European Economic Community) driving licences are valid in Spain provided that the licence holder is 18 years or older (18 being the minimum driving age in Spain). There is no obligation for the licence to be exchanged for a Spanish one. The EEC includes all European Union countries, Norway, Island and Lichtenstein.

Though a Spanish licence is not required, Spanish licence regulations will apply regarding:

The period of validity of the licence
Medical checks
Taxes
Penalties and restrictions, including suspension, withdrawal and cancellation of the licence
If a driving infraction occurs, Spanish authorities can require the holder of a licence from an EU country to obtain a new licence.

Foreign drivers from within the EU will still need to register with the traffic authorities within six months of moving to Spain. Details must be registered with the Central Register of Drivers and Minor Offenders (Registro Central de Conductores e Infractores) of the Provincial Traffic Headquarters (Jefatura Provincial de Tr?fico) of their place of residence.

Once registered, they will need to undergo a medical examination to show mental and physical fitness and the standards that apply to Spanish drivers will apply to them.

I exchanged and wished I hadn’t….but if you want to ....

Exchanging an EEC licence for a Spanish licence
The holder of an EEC driving licence may exchange it for an equivalent Spanish licence. Application must be made at the Provincial Traffic Headquarters of the applicant’s province of residence.

Necessary documentation:

Completed application form issued by the Provincial Traffic Headquarters
Photocopy (and original) of the passport along with the NIE number (N?mero de Identificaci?n de Extranjer) as proof of address in Spain
Two recent photographs (32 by 25 mm)
Declaration in writing stating that the applicant has not been banned or suspended from driving
Declaration in writing stating that the applicant does not hold another driving licence of the same class in another country
The licence being exchanged and a photocopy of it
New credit card-sized licences are being introduced across the country, so in addition to the documents currently required an applicant will need to submit a “photocard”. This will be issued free by the traffic department and must be filled in with identity details, signed and have a recent photograph attached to it.

The driving licence will be sent by ordinary post.

The licence will need regular renewal; a standard Spanish driving licence for a private car or bike is valid for ten years when the holder is under 45 years of age, five years between 45 and 70, and two years from 70 on.

See AngloINFO INFOrmation Page: Spanish Driving Licences

Posted: 09 November 2007 02:05 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  760
Joined  2006-06-27

The Spanish Traffico web site is at

http://www.dgt.es

Click on Tramites and then Modelos y Solicitudes.

The web site is actually quite interesting as are many Spanish government web sites, give them a try you be will be amazed. For instance many forms can be downloaded and filled in from your computer.

The British - Tax office for example do NOT seem to have mastered this technology yet! I downloaded a UK tax form the other day but the only option was to print it and then fill it out by hand! Bring on the quill pen!

Also a lot of Spanish sites are available for in English so you have no excuse!

Signature 

Rob
Best Choice Villas sl
http://www.bcvillas.com
Selling legal property on the Costa Blanca

Posted: 09 November 2007 08:48 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-04-19
lostforwords - 09 November 2007 12:53 PM

Holders of an EU Driving Licence
All valid EEC (European Economic Community) driving licences are valid in Spain .... blah, blah, blah

Yes, I know all that and I don’t want or need to exchange my license… what I want to do is use the facility whereby you keep your UK license but it gets sent away to Madrid by you local Tr?fico and they overstamp it with your NIE or Residencia number (see my original post). This is the Spanish authorities way of ensuring that they know where you are as your UK license is registered to a UK address.

Posted: 09 November 2007 09:02 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-04-19
ROBI - 09 November 2007 02:05 PM

The Spanish Traffico web site is at

http://www.dgt.es

Click on Tramites and then Modelos y Solicitudes.

Thanks, that is what I have already done, this is the page you come up with http://www.dgt.es/indices/dgtHtm_Impresos_es.html but the only relavent form I can see is the 4th one down, I filled in one of these forms in January of 2006 and queued up at Tr?fico in M?laga only to be told I didn’t need to exchange my UK license anymore. So, is there another form to get you license registered rather than exchanged??

Posted: 12 November 2007 01:40 AM   [ # 5 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  682
Joined  2007-11-01

Re Lizzielogs post - I too went to traffico (admittedly Oct 2005???).. and was told I no longer needed/was obliged to exchange my Uk one for a Spanish one (phew - as I have heard of problems renting a car in the UK on a Spanish licence)..
I have just read recently that although I was turned away - I should have been informed (but when have they ever been pro-active here?.. sorry - not a dig - but a fact IMHO)... that I still am obliged to register my details with Traffico,

Anyone know the bare facts about this>
I.e Have any of other members here registered their UK licence and retained it? 
( I am presuming it is just a bit of paper that says you have bothered to register).

Like Lizzie - I cannot face Traffico again - unless it will keep me totally ‘white’.

Posted: 12 November 2007 09:46 AM   [ # 6 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-04-19
susanspain - 12 November 2007 01:40 AM

Re Lizzielogs post - I too went to traffico (admittedly Oct 2005???).. and was told I no longer needed/was obliged to exchange my Uk one for a Spanish one (phew - as I have heard of problems renting a car in the UK on a Spanish licence)..
I have just read recently that although I was turned away - I should have been informed (but when have they ever been pro-active here?.. sorry - not a dig - but a fact IMHO)... that I still am obliged to register my details with Traffico,

Anyone know the bare facts about this>
I.e Have any of other members here registered their UK licence and retained it? 
( I am presuming it is just a bit of paper that says you have bothered to register).

Like Lizzie - I cannot face Traffico again - unless it will keep me totally ‘white’.

This is exactly what I am talking about, when you register your UK license with T?fico they overstamp it!!

Posted: 10 February 2008 02:58 PM   [ # 7 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-01

Lizzie,
Have you made any progress/had any success?
I spoke to my gestoria that did my last car transfer - and he told me - that I’no longer need to present my UK DL for stamping/any other kind of registration’. He was quite sure on the law/current situation.
I read recently in The Sur In English that there will be a crackdown on Traffic offences from May this year - including the ‘fact’ that UK licence holders are required to have thier UK licence registered.

I am at a loss what to do.  I have checked the dgt website - but cannot see the particular law/ruling we are looking for.
I think I can only seek a second opinon from another gestoria (or even a lawyer).

:( 

I am under the impression (from the Sur article) that at the end of the expriry date of our UK licence - we WILL BE REQUIRED to obtain a Spanish one. (I am guessing they might not notice if one renews it in the UK etc… but I have noticed some Traffico police are very eagle eyed and if say one’s residencia has been longer than this - then they might pick bones?/stick to the law).

Posted: 10 February 2008 04:36 PM   [ # 8 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-06-27

Yes I think Sur is right. If you reside permanently in Spain and your UK licence expires you have to obtain a Spanish license. The DVLC will not issue a new license to someone living abroad.

Signature 

Rob
Best Choice Villas sl

Posted: 10 February 2008 07:42 PM   [ # 9 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-04-19
susanspain - 10 February 2008 02:58 PM

Lizzie,
Have you made any progress/had any success?
I spoke to my gestoria that did my last car transfer - and he told me - that I’no longer need to present my UK DL for stamping/any other kind of registration’. He was quite sure on the law/current situation.
I read recently in The Sur In English that there will be a crackdown on Traffic offences from May this year - including the ‘fact’ that UK licence holders are required to have thier UK licence registered.

I am at a loss what to do.  I have checked the dgt website - but cannot see the particular law/ruling we are looking for.
I think I can only seek a second opinon from another gestoria (or even a lawyer).

:( 

I am under the impression (from the Sur article) that at the end of the expriry date of our UK licence - we WILL BE REQUIRED to obtain a Spanish one. (I am guessing they might not notice if one renews it in the UK etc… but I have noticed some Traffico police are very eagle eyed and if say one’s residencia has been longer than this - then they might pick bones?/stick to the law).

Hi Susanspain,
I am absolutely sure your Gestor is right when he says that you don’t need to present your driving license at Trafico for overstamping any longer, that is exactly what the British Consulate will say. My problem is that despite the law and the British Consulate if you get pulled by one of the Guardia and he hasn’t had his churros this morning he can, if he feels that way inclined make life very hard for you. A friend in the village was stopped last month and the Guardia told him that if you are driving a Spanish plated car and are a resident (as opposed to just being on holiday) you should / must change you driving license for a Spanish one. Now, if he is right or he is wrong who of us are going to stand on the roadside and argue the toss (in Spanish) with an armed traffic cop? I believe the Consulate has said that if you get on the spot fine for this offence to pay it and they will fight your case for you and get your money back - right - who can be bothered with all that?
As far as the DVLA are concerned if you live in a foreign country and have an address in that country and not one in the UK then they will not issue a UK driving license to a non-Uk address - and I suppose quite rightly so, but by sheer virtue of that it rather leaves you in license limbo land.
I am also led to believe that if you are pulled for speeding and you haven’t changed your license you are in deep doggies as they have no Spanish address/Spanish license to slap the points on, and it’s no good saying you are here on holiday as the other documents (Permiso de Conducir and insurance) will be down to your Spanish address.
It’s just all too much bother and only another thing to worry about, so I have been to Trafico in Malaga and filled in all the forms, coughed up my 18euros and have a receipt to show any Guardia who want to be bothered to look that I am in the process of getting a Spanish license.
You can hire cars in the UK on a Spanish license as well as you can hire cars here on your UK one so if you live here, and although you are (it seems) totally within your rights to drive with a UK license, it seems worth the few euros it costs to change to save yourself the aggro.
You are right in saying that if you are at the time in your life when your UK license runs out then you have to change it anyway and have the medical (nothing to be worried about, you would have to be dead to fail it) to accompany the forms.
I am all for the easy life and although my Spanish is more than passable I don’t fancy the hassle it might cause if I am pulled up by one of Spain’s finest who doesn’t know the law of his own land.
I’m afraid when it comes to matters like this we are all guilty of being bar room barristers and I sincerely believe that the laws in Spain are made up to fit the occasion, and if it makes Geraldo Guardia happier for me to change my license then hands up, I gave in and did it.

Lizzielogs

** Of course, with a little lateral thinking and the use of the online services of the DVLA there is a way to hold both a Spanish and a UK license but if the UK license would hold up in a police check in the UK after you have surrendered the original to Trafico is anyones guess, the liason between Trafico and the DVLA might be better than we would care to think**

Posted: 10 February 2008 07:55 PM   [ # 10 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-06-27

I think we can safely say the liason does exist because when they issue you with your Spanish licence the British one is returned to the DVLA and their computer has a good memory!

You are definitely allowed by EU law to continue to drive on a British licence BUT (as always!) you must follow the Spanish health check laws:

Anyone RESIDENT in Spain and driving on an EU licence is subject to he same medical requirements as Spaniards. For standard cars that means people under 45 years old need to take the medical tests every ten years, from 45 to 70 years old it’s every five years and when you’re past 70 it’s every two years. For anything over 3,500kgs, minibuses and most things with trailers its a medical every five years up to 45, every three years between 45 and 60 and every two years from then on.

But I totally agree with you - save the potential Guardia hassle and go Spanish it also makes another form of ID following the demise of the Residencia card.

Signature 

Rob
Best Choice Villas sl

Posted: 11 February 2008 10:24 AM   [ # 11 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-04-19
ROBI - 10 February 2008 07:55 PM

Anyone RESIDENT in Spain and driving on an EU licence is subject to he same medical requirements as Spaniards. For standard cars that means people under 45 years old need to take the medical tests every ten years, from 45 to 70 years old it’s every five years and when you’re past 70 it’s every two years. For anything over 3,500kgs, minibuses and most things with trailers its a medical every five years up to 45, every three years between 45 and 60 and every two years from then on.

But I totally agree with you - save the potential Guardia hassle and go Spanish it also makes another form of ID following the demise of the Residencia card.

Your first paragraph is exactly as I was told by the British Consulate in Malaga but unfortunately no one seems to have told the Guardia, it seems to be an EU directive and we all know how long these directives take to filter through to the ranks. My friend who was stopped had a translation of the law as you have described it (in Spanish) with the appropriate directive numbers with him which he showed the officers. The looked at it, read it and gave it back and proceeded to tell him he had to have his license change for a Spanish one as he had his residencia card with him and was (as you say) driving a Spanish plated car. They gave him a warning and said the fine was 300? if he was stopped and charged (I have uncharitable thoughts about what happens to this money in some circumstances). This is when he went home and phoned to Consulate who told him to pay up if the occasion arose again (of course we all carry 300? euros around with us just in case of situations like this), give them the paperwork and they would fight to get his money back - Who might live that long???!

We were lucky with our residentia, our renewal was up a month before they stopped issuing cards so we have 5 more years to go before we have to face the big green form, by then everything will have changed and the angst about not having a residentia card will all be a distant memory and we will have something new made up for us to adhere to!!  I sometimes wonder if I were a Serb entering the UK if I would have these same problems and the associated grief?

Lizzielogs

Posted: 02 April 2008 08:15 AM   [ # 12 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-01

Just an update… I spoke with the British Consulate and they confirmed we no longer have to present/register our UK Driving Licence, but as Robbie says, we still have to comply with local regulations - i.e medicals etc.  They did say however, that to avoid any ‘unecessary aggravation’ to change the licence if one is permanantly a resident in Spain.

The consulate also confirmed some other news I had heard on the grapevine.. That we are ENTITLED to a residency card (rather than the scrappy bit of paper that is by its own admission good for nothing) - We just have to go to the Polica Nacional and push the matter.  I am steeling myself for this as I expect I will not be welcomed!

Posted: 02 April 2008 05:16 PM   [ # 13 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-04-19
susanspain - 02 April 2008 08:15 AM

Just an update… I spoke with the British Consulate and they confirmed we no longer have to present/register our UK Driving Licence, but as Robbie says, we still have to comply with local regulations - i.e medicals etc.  They did say however, that to avoid any ‘unecessary aggravation’ to change the licence if one is permanantly a resident in Spain.

The consulate also confirmed some other news I had heard on the grapevine.. That we are ENTITLED to a residency card (rather than the scrappy bit of paper that is by its own admission good for nothing) - We just have to go to the Polica Nacional and push the matter.  I am steeling myself for this as I expect I will not be welcomed!

cooooo let me know how you get on and exactly how you did it, I’ll be second in the queue!

Posted: 03 April 2008 02:11 PM   [ # 14 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-01

Hi Lizzie,
Re demanding a residency card - I haven’t done it yet… but will make a ‘cita previa’ at the Policia Nacional.. and MAKE SURE THAT I HAVE THEIR INTERPRETUER WITH ME (seems this was my mistake last time - that I did it all on my own and took what they said as gospel).  It was announded in the last Andalucia Day new legislations that we can demand one in preference to the bit of paper.  I have heard mixed reports of 2 months to 2 years for the card to actually appear tho.  Will let you know how I get on!
😊
sj

Posted: 13 June 2008 06:11 PM   [ # 15 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  138
Joined  2006-11-28

Hi. I’m resident in Spain and want to comply with the Spanish driving medical requirements i.e. to have a medical check every 5 years. How do i find out where to go for the medical and how do i book one? Any advice greatly appreciated.

1 2 > 
1 of 2