Buying butane gas for barbeque
Posted: 12 February 2008 05:37 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2008-02-12

I have just moved to Spain and am living in Sitges. I want to do the cooking outside and have bought a gas barbeque but am having trouble finding somewhere in the Sitges or Vilanova area that sells butane or propane gas. Can anyone point me in right direction?

Posted: 12 February 2008 09:14 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  36
Joined  2007-11-13

Hi,
The Spanish oil company Repsol is the main supplier of Propane and Butane (orange cylinders) in Spain. They have outlets in practically every town, but you just have to pay the local Repsol gas station a visit. They also have delivery trucks all over the country, you can change cylinders direct with them as well.
But, the cheapest way to get a cylinder is to buy a used one at a second hand market or ads in newspaper or web. They are normally empty when you are buying them and should not exceed 20 Euro. Then just take it to the Repsol petrol station or the first gas truck you see and fill it up. (It is a little bit cheaper if you can manage to find the outlet)
The butanes is orange and the propanes is orange with a black mark around.

You can then buy a regulator with hose on any hardware shop.

Best regards
Jonny

Signature 

Jonny Erixon

Posted: 13 February 2008 01:57 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  303
Joined  2006-03-16

You shouldn’t even have to buy a cylinder - the outlet in our market town let us take as many as we want, paying only for the gas content, trusting us to bring them back when they’re empty.

Signature 

Martin, Scotland and the Alpujarra.  http://www.casasierra.blogspot.com

Posted: 15 February 2008 03:54 AM   [ # 3 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  235
Joined  2007-04-25

With many of our local Cepsa petrol stations, you can just go and pick up a bottle of gas, without having to take an empty.

Signature 

Visit our website - http://www.granadapropertyreform.com

“Dedicated to making your Spanish house a home”

Posted: 15 February 2008 04:11 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2008-02-12

It may just be in the Sitges area but it seems that the petrol stations no longer sell butane gas. I have found an outlet that sells it but they require sight of utility bill as confirmation of address but as I have only moved here 2 weeks ago I do not have utility bills yet. Does anyone know if the law has changed regarding the sale of butane?

Posted: 15 February 2008 10:43 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  235
Joined  2007-04-25

I know some of the bottled gas suppliers “insist” on a home visit to inspect appliances, etc… which you have to pay for the privilege of, just to get bottled gas and a contract.

As far as I’m aware however, this isn’t actually law yet, to be forced to have a contract or an inspection. The problem is that generally, the “inspector” will fail alot of things and try to push for work to be done. They’ll usually happen to know someone who can do the work funnily enough! You also would have to pay a sizeable deposit on the bottles, which in all likelyhood if using bottled gas permanently, you’re never going to see back.

There are surely some Repsol or Cepsa filling stations somewhere in your locality. Some don’t always have the cages with the bottles in on obvious display and you just have to ask.

” 
?Vender gas butano o propano aqu?”

Try speaking with some neighbours, Spanish if possible, as they will likely know where you can go to get the gas bottles.

Signature 

Visit our website - http://www.granadapropertyreform.com

“Dedicated to making your Spanish house a home”

Posted: 24 April 2008 02:08 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  166
Joined  2007-07-25

Do you have a BP garage near you - they are popular for selling gas for both the big orange gas bottles and the little blue ones for camping stoves.

We are in the village of Monda (campo) but the next village is Co?n so we can get more supplies there - what about the next village/town?

Good luck

Signature 

Scoliosis Support Network
Online Gaming Jobs