single person moving to spain… any advice?
Posted: 05 March 2010 01:38 AM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2010-03-05

im looking to move to the costa del sol middle of 2010, ive saved some money to cover me 6months. i have been learning spanish for some weeks now, and gettin better. looking at malaga really, as i have heard some bad things about knife crime in the touristy areas. i would also like to volunter at an animal sanctuary/dog shelter, to help, and to gain some more experience with the language.

im 24 and i will be moving on my own, looking at apartments later this month, to get an idea of areas and prices. i also do thai boxing and will be looking for any local gyms that do muay thai.

so far that is all i have planned, i have only just read the post about a NIE? so i will follow that up.

can anybody else give me any ideas on what to do before i move there? average bill cost? internet connection? bank accounts? registering with a doctor/dentist?

any help or advice would be great, thanks.

Posted: 05 March 2010 05:47 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  75
Joined  2008-11-26

Hiya, I know a lot about what’s it like to be single and move to Spain as I moved here on my own at the age of 24 (which was 6 years ago now!) I’ve even written a book about it called Sol Searching if you want to get more of an idea about what it was like!
When you say you’re looking at moving to Malaga, do you mean Malaga City, or the province of Malaga? If Malaga City then I hope you know Spanish well as you’ll struggle to get by otherwise, either that or you’ll be in aposition where you’ll learn very fast (you’ll have to)!!
Are you planning to find work here? If so then you might find that difficult at the moment as unemployment here is huge. My boyfriend is Spanish and he livs in Malaga City. He found it very hard landing a job and even now the contract he has runs out in April so he will have to find something else. Many of his friends have been laid off too and are currently jobless…
You won’t find it hard finding gyms that do thai boxing…
For a one/ two bed apartment look at spending around 400-500? a month rent.
Hope this helps….

Signature 

Follow Keidi for free information for expats living in the sun.

Try out her business opportunity for expats

Posted: 06 March 2010 01:54 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2010-03-05

hiya, thanks for your reply. i was looking at malaga city ideally as i like the area and it seems safe when i have had holidays there, but i am going to have a look at nerja, estepona, torremolinos, torre del mar, velez malaga and benajarafe. im going next soon for a week, to get a better idea of the areas. i would have enough money for my apartment and bills with a bit spare, for about 6months, so getting a job will be something i look towards if i want to stay there longer then 6months. i understand the work situation, its basically the same here.

would you suggest any other areas to look at?

thank you very much.

Posted: 06 March 2010 02:51 AM   [ # 3 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  75
Joined  2008-11-26

Hiya, I’m based in Torrox Costa, which is in between Nerja and Torre del Mar. You will probably quite like Nerja as there is better night life there and a few more young people than some of the other areas you mention. Dont even bother with Velez Malaga and I cant see that Benajarafe would appeal much. Estepona could be good because that is near enough to Gib if you needed to try and find work there…Also Marbella isnt too far from there…
Get in touch when you’re over if you like and we can try and meet when you’re in Nerja area…

Signature 

Follow Keidi for free information for expats living in the sun.

Try out her business opportunity for expats

Posted: 01 June 2010 07:40 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  15
Joined  2010-04-15
The Sentinella - 05 March 2010 05:47 PM

I’ve even written a book about it called Sol Searching if you want to get more of an idea about what it was like!

Hi Keidi,

The above book you mention - is it available in print? and if so whats the ISBN? - considering ill be a singleton in spain, I think it could be a great read for me!

Cheers Ste

Posted: 09 June 2010 01:48 AM   [ # 5 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2010-05-05
kh100 - 06 March 2010 01:54 AM

hiya, thanks for your reply. i was looking at malaga city ideally as i like the area and it seems safe when i have had holidays there, but i am going to have a look at nerja, estepona, torremolinos, torre del mar, velez malaga and benajarafe. im going next soon for a week, to get a better idea of the areas. i would have enough money for my apartment and bills with a bit spare, for about 6months, so getting a job will be something i look towards if i want to stay there longer then 6months. i understand the work situation, its basically the same here.

thank you very much.

Hi

Where are you at the moment?  Spain unemployment is the worst in Europe..after Latvia.  The average pay is low, very low.  But I suppose it?s all relative depending on what you are used to.

You would also need a good grasp of the language too for Malaga city.  You?d also need to think about healthcare because it?s not free..you?d need a job to get a social security card or become autonomo by paying over 200 euros per month.

But I do recommend you try it..you?re young and if you don?t mind slumming it, you?ll be fine and have a great 6 months.

Posted: 03 July 2010 11:24 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  54
Joined  2010-01-28
Aquagirl - 09 June 2010 01:48 AM
kh100 - 06 March 2010 01:54 AM

thank you very much.

Hi

Where are you at the moment?  Spain unemployment is the worst in Europe..after Latvia.  The average pay is low, very low.  But I suppose it?s all relative depending on what you are used to.

You would also need a good grasp of the language too for Malaga city.  You?d also need to think about healthcare because it?s not free..you?d need a job to get a social security card or become autonomo by paying over 200 euros per month.

But I do recommend you try it..you?re young and if you don?t mind slumming it, you?ll be fine and have a great 6 months.

If you’re from Europe, or UK, healthcare is covered by the EU agreements isn’t it?

Posted: 07 August 2010 09:00 AM   [ # 7 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  682
Joined  2007-11-01

Qwerttyyy…

^ Healthcare is only covered by EU agreements if YOU ARE A TOURIST
EHC11?  (Need to get it in your main country of residence before you leave).

If you work/live here then you need private health insurance if you/your employer are not paying Social Security contributions.
(Very hefty so alot of work is offered as non-contract).