Process to become Self employed in Spain
Posted: 10 October 2007 01:16 AM  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  20
Joined  2007-04-27

I want to become a self-employed. Can anyone advise me how’s procedure to register as a self-employed???
Or do I need to go to Gestoria?

Posted: 11 October 2007 08:00 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  760
Joined  2006-06-27

I think a lot depends upon what type of activity you are going to be involved in as some require certain licences etc etc. Basically you start by going to the social security and registering as a trabajador autonomo - if you speak some Spanish its obviously going to be easier and if you want the learning curve see how far you can get for yourself - I guess if you want the short cut to get started find a good gestoria and let them set you up.

Signature 

Rob
Best Choice Villas sl
http://www.bcvillas.com
Selling legal property on the Costa Blanca

Posted: 19 October 2007 08:53 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  101
Joined  2007-02-02

For the do-it-yourself route, check out the sole trader/aut?nomo section of the article Companies in Spain, and Start a Business in Spain.

What kind of business are you in or hope to be in?

Posted: 16 September 2009 12:30 AM   [ # 3 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  32
Joined  2008-06-06

There is a new law firm in spain, with english advisors backed by spanish lawers, the advisors will take you through the process if you wish, or some enquiries can be dealt with on email i would give them a try, the company is Advoco, at http://www.advoco.es

joanneari - 10 October 2007 01:16 AM

I want to become a self-employed. Can anyone advise me how’s procedure to register as a self-employed???
Or do I need to go to Gestoria?

Posted: 17 September 2009 11:25 AM   [ # 4 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  39
Joined  2009-09-03

I’ve just done one of these in Marbella and it was a modelo 36 not 37 (could be different if you’re a teacher).  You need to start at the soc sec office (Tesoreria) to get a social security number before you can register the autonomo.  The illness and accident cover included within social security, which costs about 30? a month, is optional and a lot of people don’t take it because it only covers you for anything work-related.  If you trip over the dog at home and break your wrist it doesn’t pay out.

Signature 

Advoco Accountancy & Law Spanish Income Tax Rates, Allowances and Declaration Thresholds 2010