Is it a legal requirement to have TDT TV installed on Residential communities in Tenerife?
Posted: 08 March 2010 07:21 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2010-03-08

Hi All! I?m a newbie on here, it all looks very interesting and I hope you cover topics relating to Tenerife? 😊 I don?t know whether anyone can help with my question above? -this TDT thing is new to me but we have one resident on our complex that insists that we should have TDT TV installed, is this free?

Posted: 09 March 2010 04:39 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  36
Joined  2010-03-09

If you have an old type tube TV or early flat screen TV you need to buy a decoder, new flat screens have TDT incorporated, so if you have a TV without TDT buy one and just spin the antenna around and tell the residents to buy the decoder in their nearest hardware shop.

Your antenna must point where its actually pointing but needs to be spined from horizontal to vertical, here is a picture of how it has to look: http://www.chicadelatele.com/myfiles/chicadelatele/antena-tdt.jpg

I have seen decoders starting rom: 29?

An the answer to your question is: No, it’s not a legal requirement to have TDT installed, because there is nothing to install, just spin antenna and buy a decoder, it’s up to the users to update their systems, do the government was helping giving free TDT decoders, but you are going to have to google it.

Signature 

Tip: Want a free classifieds ads website that covers all areas of Spain? ClassifiedsInSpain.com

Posted: 09 March 2010 04:13 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2010-03-08

Thanks so much for your informative reply, We have on our complex a community arial, so that would mean that every owner would have to change and update with a box if necessary?...Doesn?t it? sorry but not technically minded 😕

Posted: 09 March 2010 04:17 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-03-09

Spot on, TDT is Digital terrestrial airwaves, If your TV is not capable of decoding them you need a box, sold in every hardware shop.

Signature 

Tip: Want a free classifieds ads website that covers all areas of Spain? ClassifiedsInSpain.com

Posted: 09 March 2010 04:24 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2010-03-08
olidenia - 09 March 2010 04:17 PM

Spot on, TDT is Digital terrestrial airwaves, If your TV is not capable of decoding them you need a box, sold in every hardware shop.

It?s taken a few days to find someone who knows anything about this new Digital system! Do you know how much this arial adjustment or additions might cost? or would we need a different arial, the community is low in funds so just ftrying to get a ball park figure to see if we can afford it yet (I know the area is ready for this signal), thanks again olidenia!

Posted: 09 March 2010 04:50 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-03-09

Here is an image with the adjustments you have make: http://byrnecars.com/images/TDT.png

If your Antenna looks like Figure A you are going to have to spin it like image B, easily done, (just be careful climbing up the roofs).

With this adjustment and a TDT Box you will be watching all the channels and most films in English, as you can change the Audio, one of the fantastic features TDT offers.

Greetings

Signature 

Posted: 09 March 2010 05:12 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2010-03-08

Great…Don?t worry I won?t be clambering over any roofs! I can get a local Company to make the correct adjustments, is there a specific date when the old analogue system will cease to function? I would have thought the date for Tenerife would be the same as Spain. It would only be fair to give residents a chance to purchase these digi boxes. I do hope this thread is helpful to others. Will let you know how we get on.

Posted: 09 March 2010 05:19 PM   [ # 7 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-03-09

In some zones in my area Denia, there is no more analog singnals.

In Canary islands:

? Phase I - June 30, 2009, Digitization of Gran Canaria, Lanzarote and the municipality of La Oliva in Fuerteventura.
? Phase II - 31 December 2009. In the Canary Islands of Fuerteventura is the remainder, most of the municipalities of La Palma, La Gomera and El Hierro, and some of Tenerife.
? Phase III - April 3, 2010. The rest of Towns/Cities in of La Palma, La Gomera and El Hierro, and most of the island of Tenerife.

So by April 3, it would be a good idea to have it done.

Signature 

Posted: 09 March 2010 05:59 PM   [ # 8 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2010-03-08

I?m on to it! hopefully be done by end of the month.

Cheers!