JUst been offered a job in Spain and seeking any good advice
Posted: 22 July 2006 12:46 AM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2006-07-22

Hi, I’ve just been offered a contract in Seville and I am seeking any first hand experience for working and living in Spain. I speak a reasonable amount of Spanish as I have worked in Spanish speaking countries before but I have never lived for a prolonged period there. Please drop me a line of you can give me any good advice.

Thanks in advance

Posted: 02 August 2006 10:42 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2006-07-12

Were will you be living/working?

Make sure that your package helps out with the differnece in currency valuation.  Spain is already more expensive than the US without having to worry about the exchange rate.
I have included a link to US state department web site for travel expenses.  You will see by the rates vs USA city rates which can be had at the web site for IRS that the US govt. knows it costs more to live here.
I am in Santander in the North.

Steve

Posted: 02 August 2006 10:43 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2006-07-12

forgot the link, sorry.
http://www.state.gov/m/a/als/prdm/2005/46927.htm

Posted: 02 August 2006 07:21 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2006-07-22

Thanks for the reply, I will be relocating from UK to Seville. I believe the cost of living in UK is more expensive. Its the lifestyle I am looking forward to. I speak quite a bit of Spanish and always intended to retire there in the future. Just in the process of trying to convince my wife it is a good idea at the moment.

Posted: 22 August 2006 02:40 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  21
Joined  2006-07-25

Hi,

Currently on the Costa del Sol, so not Sevilla but in the same region.

My last UK posting was Aldershot and I reckon our cost of living has dropped by around 10%....but that?s south of England prices…
you also have to take into consideration where in Sevilla you are going to live ie: I live in the mountains 30 mins from the coast…my cost of living is therefore much lower but the cost of commuting daily to work on the coast evens it out….

Signature 

Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.

Albert Einstein