Writer looking for case studies
Posted: 05 January 2007 04:03 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2007-01-05

Hi,

I’m currently looking for people who are living in Spain (preferably Andaluc?a) who would be interested in being featured in a magazine article. If you’ve been here for around 2-6 years and have managed to achieve your dream (or are working towards it) I’d be glad to speak to you. The article would be something of the ‘we did it’ type to show people who have successfully made the transistion from the UK to Spain. Other case studies in the past have benefitted greatly from the publicity a magazine feature provides, so it may be worth your while taking part!

To contact me, please email: .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Richard Day

Posted: 17 May 2007 07:00 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2007-05-17

Hello Richard,

I’m sorry for contacting you without an introduction first.

I saw your post on a Spanish forum, searching for contributors, and wondered what type of reply you received?

I too am searching for contributors - but this time for a Westcountry ITV series -

In brief, I am looking for English expats (preferably from the Westcountry) that are doing something with their lives in Spain (in addition to finding local contacts in Spain eg sherry producer, a bull breeder etc etc). I am searching for contributors for our series which will be filmed in Spain - the series follows the adventures of our three presenters as they make their way through Spain and Portugal and the people they meet along the way.

I have emailed you at the address provided in your post - equally, please do contact me at .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

I would be most grateful for some of your time,
Many thanks
best wishes
Suzie

Posted: 17 May 2007 07:47 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  235
Joined  2007-04-25

Just a quick question for both of you…

Given the plethora of TV programmes and magazine articles already out there, how objectively do you present your findings?

It’s just that I had the misfortune of contracting for a chap once who had been featured on a property programme. Their coverage of his work and “success” could not have been further from the truth as alot of people I know who have worked for him or who’s properties he’s “worked” on would testify. In short, there are two particular clients whos “dreams” he’s ruined!

People watch these programmes, read these articles and “believe”. The problem is that the “reality” is not always accurate.

I know that production companies need to make programmes that “look good”, but surely a more objective view of the subjects they follow would be better.

The two clients this particular case are even taking legal action against this “builder” and are exploring the possiblility of “misrepresentative” liability cases against the television company and the programme producers, who still promote and link to the website of this “builder”.

Signature 

Visit our website - http://www.granadapropertyreform.com

“Dedicated to making your Spanish house a home”

Posted: 17 May 2007 08:27 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2007-05-17

Hello there,

You do have a point - and I couldn’t agree more. As an individual working in the industry there are times where you have to make a moral judgement if you are being asked to do something that you don’t feel is right. However in the production process there are many processes and people involved and its true that occasionally stories can get warped as each person deals with it. However the finished programme will be a result of the director’s wishes and no-one elses.

It makes it all the more difficult when trying to research and put together non-glamorous tv programmes!

What you have described does happen, but please, please, bear in mind that not everyone and every production company in the industry are the same - just like not every builder is assumed to be a crook just because of the amount of TV programmes that deal with nothing but rogue traders and cowboy builders…

I probably haven’t made the point very well - my apologies, but I hope you understand!

Best wishes
Suzie

Posted: 17 May 2007 09:29 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  235
Joined  2007-04-25

Understand totally and it’s nice of you to respond.

I think that one good idea is that because there are members of Joe Public that do believe everything they see on telly, that it’s noteworthy of producers of shows to highlight that they in no way endorse builders, property agents, or companies they focus.

As you know, there are alot of companies and people who promote themselves with “As Seen On TV”. Many of them are trustworthy and reputable. Some use it as a crutch, but still reap the rewards from unsuspecting punters who place total trust in them. “They’ve been on the telly - what can possibly go wrong.”

I understand fully that production companies need to make appealing viewing. It’s a Catch 22 situation I suppose because nowadays there are as many “rose tinted view” programmes as there are “name and shame” ones. It just seems that alot of the time there are’nt many that seem to have a good balance.

The programme you’re involved with sounds quite interesting though and more light hearted, exploring the culture and people of the country more, which is always a good thing - after all, that’s what many of us came here for. Look forward to seeing it when it’s on. Are they passing the Granada area?

Signature 

Visit our website - http://www.granadapropertyreform.com

“Dedicated to making your Spanish house a home”

Posted: 22 May 2007 01:02 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2007-05-17

Thank you for your understanding and your thoughts -

With regards to Granada - We most definitely are!
Planning to cover Seville, Jerez, Ronda and also Granada and Cordoba to explore the Moorish influence… Also hoping to include a section on the Barbary Pirates of Morocco and the story about Christian captives so we will begin by looking at the Moorish influence on the southern cities of Spain to intriduce the topic and continue to Morocco…

The Slow Blokes in France series will be transmitted in September this year, so this series will be aired in 2008. I will let you know when the channel confirms transmission dates!

Many thanks for your time again,
Best wishes
Suzie

Posted: 22 May 2007 11:51 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2007-01-05

Dear Heath1974,

I just read your post and it made me smile a little. The type of articles I run are profiles of couples who’ve succesfully integrated into Spanish communites and are a good example for other people thinking of doing the same. I have absolutely no interest in expos?es or investigative pieces. If you look in the British Spain magazines you’ll find examples of my work; lots of inspirational ideas and advice to avoid the pitfalls. If you wanted I could happily forward some of my finished work to put your mind at rest.

Richard Day

‹‹ Hello to all      Meet for a coffee? ››