Old Spanish Census Documents
Posted: 23 June 2010 05:40 AM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2010-06-23

Need some help.  Trying to find family (hope they are still alive) and need to start by finding old Census documentation as far back as 1931. Can anyone tell me where to start looking, as it appears the government departments don’t work the same in Spain as other countries.  I will be travelling to Spain in the near future and need to know where to look.
thanks kindly.

Posted: 23 June 2010 12:51 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2008-07-24

When I inquired a few years ago as part of research into family history, I was told these records were not available to the general public but only for people who were authorized to do research into social history. A better way for finding individuals would have been the ?padron?but you are faced with how long the town hall would have kept these documents and if they had been destroyed - very likely- during the civil war. In my case, I phoned the Biblioteca Nacional and asked there about where the census records would be kept and if they could be viewed. As I said, it was a few years ago and I don?t know if things have changed

Posted: 23 June 2010 01:42 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2010-06-23

Thanks for the information.  Will google the Biblioteca Nacional and see what I can find.

thank you very much.

joanne