Does anyone know about the health care system?
Posted: 28 April 2007 11:23 AM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2007-04-24

We’re moving to Ibiza mid May! Can anyone tell me how the health care system works over there and what (if anything) i need to do before we go?
I have everyone’s E111 cards from last year but just wasn’t sure whether we would need to set any kind of private health care up too? (also if anyone knows approximate cost?)

Posted: 27 May 2007 10:18 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  16
Joined  2007-05-27

i couldnt comment on what the previous poster said about short term transfer from UK but long term i concur - spanish healthcare is free on payment of social security which is paid by your employer (and stays with you for life even if you only work one day). you will also have it if you register as self-employed but thats very unattractive financially - over 200 euros a month, and it doesnt give you all the benefits. silly, really.

as far as i know the monopoly on health insurance for foreigners is held by Sanitas, a partner of Bupa Intl. It is 60 euros per month for a complete plan (availabe from Bupa Intl or Sanitas directly) that includes pretty much everything you could ever wish for, or 20-40 euros for more trimmed packages (available only from Sanitas directly). All those packages are called Healthplan. The company is very good and very courteous, exceptional quality of healthcare and top level customer service - this last one shoudlnt be taken for granted in Spain

Signature 

Valencia City Guide
Complete Tourist Guide to Valencia