Debt in Gran Canaria
Posted: 22 September 2010 08:51 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2010-09-22

I was living in Gran Canaria for 9 months, and during that time applied for my N.I.E number.

My best friend asked me to take out a mobile phone contract & internet for him - which I did, however he has never paid it.

I had to return to the UK, however he is still out there & I cannot contact him.

I would like to holiday in Spain / Canaries, however I am worried about what might happen if I return? Could I be arrested when I land for non-payment of bills?

Any help would be really useful!

Thank you.

Posted: 22 September 2010 10:34 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  738
Joined  2008-06-23

Technically no unless they can prove fraud, otherwise its a civil matter, so your details will be recorded onto sites such as Equifax and Experian and will affect your credit score in the UK.

They could then apply for a European order (cannot remember name in full) which would be entered into UK courts and action can then be made to recover the debt and all cost, which would be high, this could include CCJ. attachment of earnings or bailiff recovery of any goods you won including property.

Although most will not bother if less than ?3,000.00.But I have heard that most will now investigate the person in the UK, find out what assets they have and then keep applying interest and charges until the amount justifies the action, so a 200 Euro debt may not incur any contact and then when that total reaches a few thousand you’ll suddenly get a Bailiff call with a bill and order to seize goods.

Signature 

“I am only a child playing on the beach, while vast oceans of truth lie undiscovered before me.”