Halifax Bank in Spain
Posted: 10 July 2010 01:20 AM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2010-07-10

Hello!

I read that Halifax is one of the best banks for people moving to Spain with little or no Spanish who need a Spanish bank account.

Does anyone have any experience with them?

Posted: 10 July 2010 11:46 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  744
Joined  2009-01-22

Proper Spanish banks have English speaking staff if that is your concern. Halifax have very few branches and do not have the range of facilities a genuine Spanish bank does. Remember not to close your English bank accounts if you are moving over.

Signature 

Rob
http://spainreexposed.wordpress.com/

Posted: 12 July 2010 11:21 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  306
Joined  2007-09-24

The main advantage to Halifax is that you can open a linked Banco Halifax Hispania acct in Spain and transfer currency fee-free between the two - so if your income is in sterling you can convert it, etc.  Our local branch speaks fantastic English… however they often have to use their linguistic skills to apologise politely for the fact they can’t pay my autonomos, hacienda, etc etc, as they don’t offer full banking services.  And if you have regular monthly transfers to make, a broker will always get you a better rate, even if they charge a fee it often works out preferable to bank rates,

BDP x

Signature 

http://www.costaconnected.com

Posted: 19 October 2010 08:12 AM   [ # 3 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  682
Joined  2007-11-01

The only story I have heard about them is that they froze and closed a friends account. But she was putting in regular monthly (salary) cheques, without being resident registered/declaring tax.

I find that Cajamar are great as they charge nothing to have/maintain an account (as long as you have at least one regular payment in/out a month. I have my mob phone bill on Direct Debit). If you are charged, they are not OTT.
I used to be with Unicaja, but I paid Eu40 pa for nothing!!!