Motor Insurance
Posted: 05 March 2009 05:12 PM  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  682
Joined  2007-11-01

Any advice/pointers to getting a good deal, from a reputable co would be appreciated.
I have a 10yr old Renault Clio (Sp reg/plates)
I have 6yrs no claims with various Sp/UK cos (ones that do European cover).. but am very
disatisfied with the brokers/products/prices…
I know you ‘get what you pay for’...but I want to do a bit of resarch as I am due for renewal and want to
get the best deal possible.

I have been through all the major co’s - Ibex, Lloyds of London, Liberty Seguros but feel they are over priced for
what they actually do for you in the event of a claim.
I know there is the saying also that it ‘depends on the broker’.. but the actually co/thier policy on handling claims is also
a major factor. (DO NOT TOUCH LIBERTY WITH A BARGEPOLE - Their lawyer gave me insufficient info/advice and the claim is in limbo 2 yrs after date of RTA).

I am currently being quoted around the ? 280 mark for 3rd party with Total Loss (hence my other post of wanting to know
what value the insurance co might pay out if I ever had to claim!).

Thanks in advance - all stories good and bad welcome! 😉

Posted: 19 August 2009 05:55 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  55
Joined  2009-08-19

If you need a good broker that will do there up most to get you the best deal try Catalunya Insurance Services. You can contact them by email .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) or by phone 977493607. Ask for Mary or Chris.

Posted: 26 August 2009 06:16 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-01

Thanks Blackbird.  I finally went with Linea Directa as they were about the only ones who were quoting ‘reasonable’ money!
They now also include automatically paid medical cover for anyone in the insured car in an RTA - no matter who was at fault (unlike Liberty who instructed me to spend ?3,000, then f***ed up my claim even tho the Guardia Civil’s report showed 100% the other driver was at fault).

Posted: 26 August 2009 08:19 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Joined  2009-08-19

Congratulations, you probably went with the most expensive company offering cover in Spain. They have a simple strategy, they offer you an expensive quote first, if you accept it they are very happy, if you check it out you will nearly always get a cheaper quote elsewhere. But they will pester you with cheaper quotes often until the customer gives in with exhaustion. Any broker in Spain would offer you cheaper insurance with all the whistles and bells attached. If you are not happy with Liberty there are many others on offer. I have seen the first offers reduced by as much as 175 euros by this company. If you think that is a good company so well and good.

Posted: 26 August 2009 11:49 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  138
Joined  2006-11-28

they gave me the cheapest quote straight off…and the best policy

Posted: 27 August 2009 11:43 AM   [ # 5 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Joined  2009-08-19

How do you know that. If you go to an insurance agent they will quote you using probably the 1 and only insurance connection they have. So then it is a matter of it is competitive or not. If you use a decent broker with more than 1 insurance company chances are you will get a much better quote.

Posted: 27 August 2009 12:34 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  138
Joined  2006-11-28
blackbird - 27 August 2009 11:43 AM

If you use a decent broker with more than 1 insurance company chances are you will get a much better quote.

I did, then I went to companies indivdually including LD. That is how I know :exclaim:

Posted: 27 August 2009 03:56 PM   [ # 7 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Joined  2009-08-19

If you are happy with the price that you got that is fine. I can only give you the benefit of my experience and that is that I quote against this company almost on a daily basis and the outcome is almost always the same. Other factors that also come into this are the type of vehicle and the age and experience of the driver etc, a lot of things make adifference with the various insurance companies and can change the final price to the client. Example, Liberty are good at UK plated cars where Reale are better at Spanish plates, Ibex are very good with some 4X4s but not all. This is where a good broker can make a difference. It is worth noting that if you go through a broker it should not make any difference to the final price, it should be more or less the same premium.

Posted: 27 August 2009 05:40 PM   [ # 8 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-01

Hi Blackbird,
Thank you for sharing your wealth of knowledge with us that ‘must get insurance no matter what’...
I will be contacting you when it is renewal time (we have two cars) and try out your claims.
As I say, I only went with LD at the time as they gave me a discount when I asked for one and were near enough the same as the Liberty quote.
I was previously with Helvetia who strangely took Eu250 from me the first year of my policy and then wanted a whopping Eu 500 when it came to renewal.  This is all when I have full no claims (6+years), over 45 etc, etc. 

Will write you soon with requested to get best price/policy!

SJ

Posted: 15 November 2010 09:02 AM   [ # 9 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-01

Hi Blackbird,
It is going to be time for renewal again soon.
I wondered if you would name some of the co’s you were saying are alternatives to Linea Directa, whose
policies are reasonably price, and an assurance that the coverages (especially in the medical side) is as
competitive. 
I could not get any sense out of 4 different brokers I have tried down here. (Mijas Costa). *Basiclaly they all want
to sell me Liberty.
My experience of the insurance industry so far is not so good…
Kind Regards,
SJ

Posted: 15 November 2010 02:46 PM   [ # 10 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Joined  2009-08-19

Hi SJ

Thanks for thinking of us. We can offer alternative companies such as Ibex, Tradewise, Reale, Credit Suisse and Liberty. All are recognised and regulated by one authority or another. All these companies will compete with Linea Directa on price. The small print cover such as medical protection will vary from company to company, some better in some areas. We are Catalunya Insurance Services, qualified and regulated brokers. If you would like a quotation please call us on 977493607, we will take your details and try to get you the best policy for your requirements. Regards Chris & Mary.