FOR EXPATS WITH DOGS !
Posted: 04 October 2010 09:26 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2010-10-04

Currently, I divide my time between Spain and the UK.

In the UK I run a very successful home dog boarding service, in other words, I run
a petsitting business.

I’m ‘thinking’ of trying to recreate this success in a medium to large expat community
in Spain.  I’m ‘sure’ some enterprising person has already done this in many of your
area’s, but I’d be interested to know if any of you have used such a service in Spain, or
if you sometimes get stuck for dog care when you want to visit relatives in the UK.

If you have, how much does it cost, and how does it work.

Please would you put which area you are in, and how big your expat community is if you
are kind enough to reply.

I am also a fully insured house sitter and would welcome a long term house sit Nov onwards.

Many thanks in advance.
R.

Posted: 05 October 2010 12:43 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  738
Joined  2008-06-23

There are a lot doing it, not only English people, but also German, Dutch, Swedes etc.If your using the internet to research how many are doing it then don’t assume the internet shows a balanced amount, its more normal for people to advertise locally, usually papers stuck to lamp posts or small notices in shops etc etc, people in Spain including the Spanish rarely use the net for business advertising and there are a lot of jobs being offered like this in Spain, regulations in Spain and their enforcement is worse than the UK, so anybody can set up a business and dog sitting is very easy to do without much outlay, which is due to the current crisis and people desire to stay in Spain, walking and sitting someones dog is an attractive source of income for the unskilled and there are a lot of unskilled people ruining the businesses of professionals, especially at a time when people need to spend less.

There always was cowboys doing work in Spain, since 2007 this has increased a hell of a lot, you’d be surprised how many waiters worked as skilled craftsmen on building sites in the boom, hell the guy who owned La Canada, Marbellas biggest shopping centre with 280 outlets was a sheep farmer for 20 yrs until he sold some land, suddenly became a builder who amassed enough money (Tens of Millions) to build his own home, a replica of the USA White House, then got done for illegal building and lost a lot of cash, he’s probably a financial advisor now or more likely a dog groomer to his rich clients.

Even retired people with there own animals have sprouted up as this is a viable way to supplement their pensions.

http://europe.ninasnanniesforpets.co.uk

http://www.housesitworld.com/europe/

http://www.myservicesdirectory.com/Category/pets/Kennels-and-catteries/2.html

Signature 

“I am only a child playing on the beach, while vast oceans of truth lie undiscovered before me.”

Posted: 05 October 2010 08:21 PM   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  147
Joined  2010-06-04

We used to run a pet sitting agency in the UK which was very profitable. We tried it when we moved to Spain and it just didn’t work!! We do pet sit in Spain but all we charge is our travelling expenses and any other expenses incured. We actually pet sit for free and by doing this we can see other areas of Spain and treat it as a mini holiday.

Caz

Posted: 05 October 2010 10:12 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  738
Joined  2008-06-23

There is a web site I didn’t post that offer, ask for peeps to come and sit there homes, pets etc, they don’t pay you, but you stay in there home for free in exchange, its very popular especially in Europe as you can find a location and stay for free, mini holiday in exchange for looking after the house.

The concept probably came from that film the holiday with Cameron Diaz, , but without Diaz or Jude Law.

Signature 

“I am only a child playing on the beach, while vast oceans of truth lie undiscovered before me.”

Posted: 15 November 2010 09:22 AM   [ # 4 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  682
Joined  2007-11-01

Hi RR,
Sadly there are too many Brits scratching around for work that they will do pet/house sitting for virtually free these days.
Even if you are an insured/bonified professional, in my experience people are not willing to pay a decent wage. 
(You may also have difficulty/it will cost a lot to get liability insurance, as it is not something the Spanish (again in my own personal experience) really do).

It will be a case of word of mouth if you do decide to do it once you are here.

Our cattery (there are several in the area, most good), charge Eu6 a day. Eu 7 for a dog (plus extra for food/walks).

Good luck.
SJ

Posted: 24 November 2010 03:36 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2010-11-24

The De’ Ritz Pet Hotel is a 5-star hotel for your cats or dogs with an area of 4,000 square feet which is fully air-conditioned. This hotel is located in Ikano Power Centre in Petaling Jaya, about 25 minutes drive away from Kuala Lumpur. You may want to put your dog here for a while.

———————————————————————-
simplykennels.com