2 of 2
Non-EU national, accepted for residency, seeking work permit advice
Posted: 14 July 2009 12:40 PM   [ # 16 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2009-07-03

OK, thanks guys.

I figured it would be tough to get work without the NIE, especially as a non spanish speaker!

This may sound a bit naive but I was thinking that as Coruna is quite a provincial town, I would have a good chance of finding work teaching English to locals, one on one. I`m thinking a few flyers in local cafes, trying to spread the word etc. Is it idealistic of me to think that there will be a good few Gallicians that want to learn English, and are happy to take one on one classes as opposed to the English school? I`m a journalist and have tought English before etc so no problems there, and I?m thinking that if this goes ok then I have an employment base and it will be worthwhile going through the whole marriage deal and staying on, maybe finding alternative work as my own language improves.

I?ve spoken to the Spanish consulate in Sweden quite a bit, and they were quite helpful. They say that marriage is the best option, although they said we have to get married in Sweden, which sounds strange. No drama though, we`d just fly back for a quickie (wedding, I mean…).

The trickiest part of the marriage deal is that you need to have a marriage certificate, translated into Spanish, that is less than 3 months old when it is presented in the application. BUT when you line up and get an appointment for coming back to apply, the appointment is apparantly 2-3 months in the future, so it will have “expired” by then. However, I`m hoping that we can make the appointment without needing to show the certificate, then get married and get the certificate translated in the 2-3 month interim.

So that`s how I intend to tackle the red tape. Waddya think? Do I have the right key to “unlock” the residency door? 😉

Gracias!

Posted: 14 July 2009 11:26 PM   [ # 17 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  453
Joined  2008-12-30

hi tahn,

why don’t you just wait a year to get your swedish passport. or just officially stay in sweden, but actually stay in spain. since sweden is a schengen member, exits and entrance are not registered.
with the number of immigrants in spain, from south america, africa and the new europeans, lining up for documents is not really a happy experience.

Posted: 14 July 2009 11:41 PM   [ # 18 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  550
Joined  2008-09-12

aritz

Has a very vailuble point… However Tahn partner has a job in Spain….

Posted: 15 July 2009 03:20 AM   [ # 19 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-12-30

hi mac31,
like i said, he can stay officially in sweden, but actually stay in spain.

Posted: 15 July 2009 12:21 PM   [ # 20 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2009-07-03

Hi Aritz,

Staying in Sweden for another year would be more convenient, but the missus got the job offer she was after now and couldn`t pass it up. I considered staying in Sweden and doing the romantic long distance thing, but my employment contract just finished here so it works for me to go with her. Plus, doing the romantic long distance thing sucks!

I guess if there`s no record on my passport that I`ve overstayed in Spain, Sweden can`t ping me for staying in illegally in an EU country and reject my passport. If this is the case, and I can indeed get some cash-in-hand teaching work, it just might work. As long as I keep my head down of course. Buuuut I`d be limited to cash-in-hand teaching work.

Another complication is that we need to fly to Australia at the end of the year (to collect her Australian Spouse visa… it never ends!). I think to do this though I would have to fly back to Sweden first and depart from there so I don`t get a big red Spanish stamp in my passport!

Is the lining up for applications and appointments all that bad? I`ve gone through quite a bit of visa drama in Australia and Sweden before, surely it`s worth grabbing a marriage certificate, then lining up for a few hours on a couple of days if it means you can live and work legally…? I can put up with a lot of waiting if I have a juiced-up ipod in my pocket and a good book in my hands!

Incidentally, thanks for all the advice and so forth everyone! 

T

Posted: 15 July 2009 12:38 PM   [ # 21 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-12-30

tahn,
just keep your swedish residence card or permit or however you call it valid. as long as this is valid it does not really matter where you fly out from. and keep your stay in sweden official eventhough you are actually in spain.
why does your girlfriend need a spouse visa?

Posted: 15 July 2009 01:46 PM   [ # 22 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2009-07-03

Yeah, the residence card is valid.

She has a de-facto spouse visa in Australia as my partner and I have one in Sweden as her partner. We`ll need to travel back to Sydney because the visa graduates from temporary to permanent after two years, but you have to be in the country to pick it up. I just grabbed mine in Sweden last week…

I`m actually wondering if becoming a Spanish “resident” during this period will affect these visas. Should be fine though as becoming resident in another EU country won`t change her status as far as her Australian visa goes, and with my Swedsih visa I`m allowed to spend 9 months in another country and the time still contributes to the 3 years I need “in Sweden” to get my Swedish passport.

I can`t believe you guys are even reading this. All the visa mumbo jumbo isn`t so interesting I know… 😊

`Preciate it but!

T

Posted: 09 February 2011 07:39 PM   [ # 23 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  16
Joined  2009-10-09

i got my NIE number and was told today i need a work permit as well? i am married to a spanish, so i am a bit confused; i am canadian, a non-EU obv.

< 1 2
2 of 2
‹‹ EU Blue Card in Spain      Visa Question ››