Looking to buy a bar in the costa del sol region
Posted: 09 January 2011 09:01 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2011-01-09

Hi Guys.

I’m looking at buying a bar in the Costaq Del Sol region of spain.

I have been doing some research into obtaining alcohol licences etc but i’m really struggling to find information on costings of alcohol etc and wholesale companies.

Is anyone able to help me out please?

Posted: 10 January 2011 01:51 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  744
Joined  2009-01-22

Don’t worry the wholesale companies will come looking for you when you open. Prices typically a third of sales price.

Signature 

Rob
http://spainreexposed.wordpress.com/

Posted: 10 January 2011 02:21 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2011-01-09

Thanks for your response Rob.

However i need to get a business loan in the UK first and it would be helpful for a wholesale cost so i can work out profit margins for my business plan

Posted: 10 January 2011 02:30 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-22

I would be amazed if you got a UK loan for a bar in Spain - is that really possible?

Signature 

Rob

Posted: 10 January 2011 08:52 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  818
Joined  2006-06-15

Sorry, I don’t want to be a wet blanket but this is not what the CDS needs…Yet another Brit bar!

If the bar you are proposing to buy is an existing one you have to ask yourself why are the owners selling up?

If its a new enterprise then you have no client base and will be starting from scratch with only passing trade to rely on.

Brit run businesses are failing everyday, people pulling up stakes and going back home broke.

The days of running a bar and making a fortune (or even enough to pay staff and make loan repayments) are long gone.

fb

Signature 

Help desperately needed

https://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Posted: 10 January 2011 10:07 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-22

To be honest I think Foxbat has a very good point, although I don’t know Costa del Sol I don’t expect it’s much different from the Costa Blanca in this respect at the moment.

Signature 

Rob

Posted: 11 January 2011 01:36 AM   [ # 6 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2011-01-09

Thanks for your response guys, but i never said i was looking to open a british bar.

I have made relevant enquiries and yes it is possible to get a loan in the uk for a business abroad.

i’m very keen to know both your experience in the EU market as you seem like you have the knowledge

Thanks in advance

Posted: 11 January 2011 02:53 AM   [ # 7 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  818
Joined  2006-06-15

Don’t mind admitting this, but apart from buying a house and overseeing its renovation and budgeting monthly expenses I have no trading experience whatsoever here in Spain.

What I can comment knowledgeably about however are the simple logistics of things out here.

Beware some Brits; there are a hell of a lot of rip-off merchants out here who will promise the earth and give you nothing but grief once you have handed over cash…

Beware some Spaniards; ditto…

Everything takes time…

Everything costs…usually far more than you can anticipate.

If you cannot speak Spanish your problems are made worse by the simplest of misunderstandings; dealing with Spanish officialdom requires a working knowledge of Spanish as it is spoken in Andalucia… not the same language as one can learn from books…and a great deal of patiience

With the current economical situation in Spain and indeed throughout Southern Europe, starting a business with borrowed money is might I suggest a little hazarous…

fb

Signature 

Help desperately needed

https://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Posted: 11 January 2011 03:09 AM   [ # 8 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2010-12-11

I`ve have had a bar on the costa del sol for 10 years and am still making a living,the trick is to do your homework first and don`t treat this as a holiday we work 15 hours a day 7 days a week during the summer believe it or not even after reading the so called advice here you can make a good living ,the biggest rip off merchants here are the brits,ask questions and use good old common sense. If you wouldn`t do it in England why do it here

Posted: 11 January 2011 03:11 AM   [ # 9 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2010-12-11

I`ve have had a bar on the costa del sol for 10 years and am still making a living,the trick is to do your homework first and don`t treat this as a holiday we work 15 hours a day 7 days a week during the summer believe it or not even after reading the so called advice here you can make a good living ,the biggest rip off merchants here are the brits,ask questions and use good old common sense. If you wouldn`t do it in England don`t do it here

Posted: 27 January 2011 06:30 PM   [ # 10 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2010-12-01

I hope you’ve got a good English speaking lawyer to sort thing out for you here, there’s a lot of red tape and it’s especially difficult if you don’t speak the lingo. I can reccommend Manilva Solicitors who have offices all along the coast and the first consultation is free. check out their web page.

Posted: 11 February 2011 06:48 PM   [ # 11 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2008-10-05
foxbat - 10 January 2011 08:52 PM

Sorry, I don’t want to be a wet blanket but this is not what the CDS needs…Yet another Brit bar!

If the bar you are proposing to buy is an existing one you have to ask yourself why are the owners selling up?

If its a new enterprise then you have no client base and will be starting from scratch with only passing trade to rely on.

Brit run businesses are failing everyday, people pulling up stakes and going back home broke.

The days of running a bar and making a fortune (or even enough to pay staff and make loan repayments) are long gone.

fb

GREAT ADVISE,AND VERY VERY TRUE