If you know anyone in or around Barcelona who is looking for a nanny for the summer, please read my post!
Posted: 13 June 2007 02:32 AM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2007-06-01

Hi everyone, 😊
I’ve already posted in this forum so I’m gonna try again, this time it’s something different.
I am a huge Spain enthusiast and I am moving to Spain next year after university and I figured it would be great to get familiar with Barcelona and the language even before that -
so I have 2 free months before university starts in September and I would love to be an au-pair or nanny or something to spend some time in a Spanish-speaking environment and learn some Spanish. I worked with children before, at one time I worked in a nursery in the US for a few months. If you know anyone who is looking for an English-speaking nanny or au-pair or housekeeper for the summer and live in the Barcelona area, please let me know or pass my emai address onto them! I’m also interested in taking care of pets as I am also a big fan of animals. Thanks and have a great summer everybody! 😊
My email and MSN: .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)
edina

Posted: 13 June 2007 04:09 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2007-06-01

Oh, I just wanna add something to my previous post:
The reason I am asking you guys here if you know about any au-pair summer jobs in Spain because I had absolutely no luck trying to find a job online or through an aupair agency. I’ve tried several aupair agencies but most of the time what happens is that I search their database for families in Spain and I try to contact them only to receive a message similar to this one: “Sorry, but you cannot contact or add this family to your Favourites List because they are looking for someone of a different nationality to you”.
OK, I am Hungarian, I suppose I cant deny that but I’ve lived in the US for a number of years and soon I am graduating from university with a Master’s Degree in English and American Literature & History, yet none of the online aupair agencies want to accept my application because of my Eastern European nationality…. hmmm…  and just imagine that I’m not even applying for a teaching position even though I’m qualified to teach English in the EU with a university degree in English - Oh, and I DID work in a nursery before - in the US and interestingly they had no problem of me being Hungarian 😊
All i want is to find a childcare position for the summer. I sure hope I don’t need a PhD for that 😊 😊 lol (I’m not as upset as I probably sound - I’m just trying to figure this out)
any ideas? 😊

Posted: 24 June 2007 02:42 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  74
Joined  2007-01-25

I’m no expert, but from what I have seen, the Spanish seem to have a different attitude to childcare than the UK and the USA, and it is less likely that both parents will work and leave their children with anyone other than a family member - especially in rural areas.

In London, for example, there are hundreds of agencies and day-nurseries, and it is much more the norm for both parents to work full-time and not have a non-working family member to leave their children with.

The problems you have experienced with nationality are nothing personal I’m sure - it is probably down to the way the agencies offer choices to their prospective clients, by asking if they have a preference.  Even Hungarian families in Spain would benefit from a Spanish-speaking nanny or au-pair if they are not fluent themselves, but I think that it is just unfortunate that you are in a profession where demand doesn’t exceed the supply in your chosen location.

You probably wouldn’t do any better as a carpet-fitter in Malaga or a central-heating engineer in Tenneriffe either 😊

It might be worth trying to contact a day-nursery in Barcelona directly, rather than to get an agency to place you with a family, but there are probably more day-nurseries in Alicante and Murcia than Barcelona.

Another thought - many hotels offer their guests a day-care service for their children, would that be worth a try?

Signature 

http://www.cavehomes.com
Amazing Andalucian Properties

Posted: 25 June 2007 06:15 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  46
Joined  2007-06-01

Hi there,

I lived in Barcelona for 2 years and the women that I met there (all expats) needed someone, at sometime to look after their kiddies…..I know of one website in Barcelona that could help you, worth a go, http://www.tlcanguros.com, hope they can be of some help.  Let me know.

Bye for now,

Alicia

Posted: 26 June 2007 01:14 AM   [ # 4 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2007-06-01

THANKS everyone!!!! 😊 I kinda gave up finding a job for the entire summer but I will still be in Barcelona in the middle of July!!! Cant wait! I need to get my Barcelona “fix”! lol ...it has been 3 years….