Employed full time and working freelance on the side?
Posted: 06 May 2011 05:09 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2011-05-06

I hope you will be able to assist me - I have a quick question about starting to freelance in Spain.

I am a Brit currently living in Spain and I am employed full-time by a Spanish company (earnings approximately 20,000 Euros PA). I have been approached about working for 400 Euros a month as a photographer.  I will continue to work full time whilst working as a photographer. (I will need to send official invoices for the photography work every month).

Can you suggest the best course of action for me?  Do I need to register as an Autonomo or will I be able to just register at the Agencia Tributaria? 

Thank you very much in advance for any assistance you may be able to give me!

Posted: 07 May 2011 03:30 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  38
Joined  2010-10-28

Going from the past experience of Spanish friends, you could well find that you will be asked to register as an Autonomo and have to pay Social security twice. I’m no tax expert so you could either pop in to a friendly Gestor who would probable give you the answer free or call in at the local Hacienda, the employees there are very helpful and will give you the correct official answer.

Posted: 14 May 2011 06:00 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  744
Joined  2009-01-22

I think you will find that it is impossible to register for autonomo if you are already working as an employee, as in their view you cannot be both things at once. I seem to recollect a friend of mine tried to register but was rejected as according to their records he was still an employee of a company.

So I would think that you just declare your additional income as part of your annual declaracion.

However lots of things are changing in this area and so you need professional advice.

Signature 

Rob
http://spainreexposed.wordpress.com/