Spain. Justice or Injustice. (A must to read for all expats visiting or living in Spain)
Posted: 08 May 2011 03:27 PM  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  30
Joined  2008-12-26

A distressed sixty two year old man arrived at the Offices of Costa Advice Bureau with signs of injuries incurred in an argument over what will be a familiar episode to many in Spain. And this is the constant barking of dogs.  He approached the dog owner, a Spanish citizen to make a further plea and suggest that three years tolerating the dog which barked from seven am till seven at night had been intolerable and now with his wife diagnosed and operated on for a cancer, repose for her well being was imperative.  This was not to be. The response to this appeal from the twenty eight year old Spaniard who was not going to discuss this matter instead hit the expatriate over the head with his motorcycle helmet causing him to fall to the floor leaving an open and bleeding wound on his head and two wounded knees.  I posed the relevant questions to the wounded party.  Did you go to have your wounds tended too and obtain a report and furthermore did you make a statement to police? His response was that the police had arrived at the scene and as it was Easter Thursday they advised him that all emergency health centres were closed. This of course was complete nonsense. The aggressor who did receive a punch in the mouth as retaliation (This should never have occurred) managed to get to a centre and obtained a report about a small injury to his lip. He also reported the matter to the police. The now defendant had to answer these complaints and was left to believe that he too had reported the aggressor.  Again he was incorrectly advised by the police. There was not complaint against his aggressor just a response to the accusations made against him.

There was not much time to contact a lawyer as the Spanish take the holidays seriously. Eventually making contact with the lawyer I was advised and as I suspected that the defendant would be found guilty as he had not obtained a medical report or reported the matter to the police. He would be fined and have to pay damages and paying the lawyer would be a waste of time.  I did not accept this unfair conclusion and insisted both with the lawyer and with the defendant that we fight this case. I assisted my client to obtain the necessary documentation and with seconds to go before the case we presented a counter complaint. What was achieved? The Spaniard dropped his complaint. Why? Because there was now the obvious possibility that the court would find both parties guilty which meant that the first complainant would and the defendant now turned complainant,  could both be found guilty and each would have to pay a fine and damages. The young Spaniard did not now have an open and closed case in his favour.  For every Expatriate in Spain please take note of this case as this is not northern Europe or Britain where a defendant is just that.  There you would have the possibility of defense.  The translation for denounced in Spain, is ?accused ?seen in the eyes of the Spanish judicial system as the guilty party

Come on Spain you have been a democracy for thirty five years now. Please change the judicial system for a fairer system and away from the archaic and unfair system that Spain still adheres too.

Myra Azzopardi
http://www.costaadvicebureau.com

Signature 

Kind regards,
Myra

Posted: 08 May 2011 05:32 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  38
Joined  2010-10-28

A sad affair but the incident should, as stated, been reported to the local police and the injuries attended to in a heath centre. All that has happened after this is due course under Spanish law.
When in Rome….... The laws will not change overnight because they have affected an ex.pat but it should be good advice to all others.
A barking dog is a continual nuisance in most of not all Spanish villages, this should be reported via a denuncia at the local Town hall, signed and registered. Things may then move ahead depending on the Mayor and or the region where you live, again sad but true.

Posted: 17 May 2011 03:28 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  682
Joined  2007-11-01

Sadly I have learnt from experience that to be the first to ‘denounce’ in any situation is imperative. (Even if I did not feel I had a huge complaint/was seeking compensation). It is merely to protect myself should a situation escalate.

I have been through the mill with minor and more serious court claims…
None of which have ended up IMO as ‘just and fair’.

But there you go…

PS - Equally, I have had to carry out several ‘Reclamaciones’ for very bad service, but again got nowhere.
(Last went as high as it could go to the Insurances Ombudsman - but they backed the car insurers all the way -
I was warned!!!)

Posted: 17 May 2011 04:40 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  30
Joined  2008-12-26

I see you understood my post. I am not trying to change the legal system for one expat but have and will continue to talk and write about a system which is often unfair. Not everyone who comes to Spain understands the difference in the system here. I always hope that my post will benefit others. I write monthly articles in an English language newspaper with the same aim. Change come when people stand up against injustices. Before anyone says it, I do not go for the ‘if you don’t like it go home’ This is my home where I pay my dues invested and have some imput. I cannot talk about a country from which I do not have first hand information.

Signature 

Kind regards,
Myra