Too Good to be true?
Posted: 01 November 2009 04:55 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2009-09-29

Has anyone heard of or taken part in the oxbridge TEFL cource in barcelona. i found this on loquo and it sounds like it is too good to be true. Which usually means its some kind of scam.

http://www.loquo.com/pe/jobs/education-teaching/sponsored-tefl-course-5-grants-for-2nd-november/16156505

A TEFL course for 350 euros? Anyway if anyone has taken part or knows someone who has taken part i would love to hear from them, as if its legitimate i would deffinatley consider taking part.

Thanks Alot
Craig

Posted: 03 November 2009 01:36 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2855
Joined  2007-10-19

if you think could be a scam you sould google it are get in touch with the school it self , would be tad bite warrer with it as no telphone number address and so on , the website is not , would be if was school ,  I do think it scam , never hand over money are you passport number and so on ...

Posted: 03 November 2009 01:36 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  744
Joined  2009-01-22

Craig,

Bottom line - I don’t know but

I looked at the link, and maybe the difference is obtained by them as a grant or maybe you have to find the sponsor for the balance, why not take it a step further but don’t part with any money until you are 100% sure what you are (or not!) getting.

Good luck

keep us posted.

Signature 

Rob
http://spainreexposed.wordpress.com/

Posted: 07 November 2009 12:57 AM   [ # 3 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  95
Joined  2009-05-27

Well, their Web site isn’t that great: oxbridge.es

They might be a legit school, and the training would probably be OK if you think you’d have a good shot at working for them. But there’s no gaurantee that anyone else would recognize the certification. If you want something more universal you should chalk up the money and pay for the CELTA or Trinity certification.. at least, that’s what I’ve been hearing.  It’s really not THAT expensive, if it does actually help you get any sort of job you’d make the money back in a few weeks.

It wouldn’t hurt to e-mail the oxbridge people, though, and see what it’s about.  Who knows, maybe they are CELTA or Trinity certified.

Posted: 08 November 2009 10:48 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  15
Joined  2009-10-04

Usually schools offering a large discount for TEFL, CELTA cert, etc are basically giving you an option to work off the subsidized tuition.  Be careful! Ask them how much they pay per hour for the subsidized classes. If the answer is not concrete but ambiguous, be weary. You can get yourself into a bit of a jam because normally it is a very low wage.  You are basically a slave to them for a long period until you have worked off what you “owe them” .

I can offer legit classes that last only 4 weeks plus 4 weeks of Spanish classes for 2k euros and it comes with a 12 month student visa allowing you to work 20 hours a week for 12 months.  Average salary is 15 per hour.  Some people work for less, but I personally think that is exploitation.  If you are certified and legal you should earn more than a house cleaner, especially with the travel involved.

Feel free to contact me for more info at .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address).

Posted: 05 July 2010 07:36 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2010-07-05

I wonder if you ever found out anything about the Oxbridge TEFL courses. I have been seeing lots of advertisements for their sponsored courses but have been unable to find any testimonials.

Posted: 05 July 2010 08:38 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2855
Joined  2007-10-19

web site very bad if there trying two get people to apply for the tfel Classes , would think it some scam but looking in two it
Jurdy

Posted: 07 October 2010 01:30 AM   [ # 7 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2010-10-07

If you only intend to teach english for a year and just want a job to pay the bills i’d say go for it. The teachers are a fun lot, they have plenty of regular weekly hours (17-20+) and pay on time (but do have a complicated payment scheme, 80% at the beginning of the month and the remaining 20% a week later so you can’t do a runner without getting screwed out of a week) and the class format is strictly conversation. No listenings, writing, reading or lesson planning.Your class materials are handed to you each week. 15 mins to prepare. Pay is 15+ euros per hour. As they are creative with the accounting, very little is taken out of your pay. If you gross 1200 euros a month you’ll take home around 1150. Easy money.

TEFL program?

If your goal is to get a job with Oxbridge, don’t bother. You have the same chance by just applying for a teaching position, even with minimal or no experience and save yourself the course costs.

If your goal is to use your newly acquired TEFL certificate to find a job in Barcelona, look elsewhere. Why?
Their reputation with other schools is not stellar. They’ve sent people hopelessly inadequate to the task before them into the marketplace and employers have noticed. I base this on a conversation a had during an interview. I ended up getting the job after demonstrating my grammar knowledge and ability to explain concepts clearly as well as a short demo lesson. I found out afterwards when talking with the other teachers that they didn’t have as rigorous an interview as I did.
Minimal real teaching practice and the practice you do receive is only useful for their in-company classes. It will not prepare you for a traditional classroom environment. The current advertisement on Loquo says 30 hours of teaching practice? You might want to ask how many of those hours are with actual students and how many involve you practicing on the other tefl trainees.
Is watching a couple of classes, teaching only 15 minutes of 2 additional classes and 3 full classes on your own enough? It’s possible they’ve increased the number of practice hours. FInd out how much real practice you will have.
Materials are sub-par. Photocopies and no textbooks.
If you are considering this program, ask to see the syllabus.
Find out:
What methodologies are covered? PPP, ESA?
Classroom management? Really? Specifics.
Do you cover how to teach reading, writing and listening in addition to speaking? How? Oxbridge is speaking only in the classroom. No reading writing or listening. Yes, that’s right.
What about lesson planning, anticipated problems and how to resolve them?
What about phonology?
What about sentence analysis and identifying parts of speech?
What about identifying tenses, describing the function and more importantly providing teaching guidance for each?
What about how to describe language and functions to students?

The course is designed to train you to work for them. That is the main focus. Everything else is supplemental. The things I mention above are in fact covered, but much in the same way Barcelona gets covered in snow every few years, barely at all. You will not be well prepared for anything other than in-company conversation classes, and only if you don’t need to plan the lessons yourself.

My opinion? Don’t waste your money.

Posted: 06 May 2011 10:11 PM   [ # 8 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2011-05-06

Hi all,

We’ve read this forum about us and everyone is welcome to contact us directly with any questions.

You will find all our contact details on our website: telephone numbers (Madrid & Barcelona), Skype username and our office addresses, just in case you want to call or pop in for a chat.

Our courses take an intensive, practical and innovative approach to language teaching. We have taught TEFL courses to many people who are now successfully teaching English all around the world.

Many thanks,

Joe @ Oxbridge

Posted: 08 September 2011 05:40 PM   [ # 9 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2011-09-08

Oxbridge Update

The company has sunk to a new low. One week before going on holiday the teachers were notified that they would not be receiving the normal summer bonus payment that was promised at the beginning of the term. Instead it would be received over the Christmas holiday. Remember that none of the teachers have an indefinite contract. Contracts are terminated at the end of July. The new year starts mid September. You would have to return for another year in order to receive the payment that should have been paid at the end of the existing contract. When asked how anyone was going to pay their rent or have funds during this period the response was to collect unemployment. Sound reasonable? No, considering that the company does not not report income accurately and does not make the correct contributions to social security and tax. Teachers who tried this received approximately 350 euros. Could you pay rent and minimal expenses with that? My opinion? Avoid this school at all costs.

Also, the TEFL course price has increased to 499 euros. It is advertised as 120 hours but this is misleading. Trainees are in the office from 10am - 1pm, 60 hours. There are 20 hours of teaching practice. What about the other 40 hours? Trainees do observe classes but normally only 1 a day, sometimes 2. That leaves a lot of unaccounted hours ( unless travel time is being included as the vast majority of classes are in-company, all around Barcelona). If you are considering this course, make sure you do your research and find out exactly how much time is actually spent teaching,observing or in the office.

Lastly, they make a big deal about you being sponsored. This is marketing hype. Ask them for information about this sponsorship program and who can you contact independently for additional information. I find it strange that no other company is taking advantage of this wonderful opportunity. Do you?