Help please re legal issues involved in provision of free wi-fi in apartment block of 24 co-owned apartments
Posted: 27 February 2012 08:59 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2012-02-27

Hi everyone

I’m desperate for some help on this issue - can anyone either offer advice or point me in the right direction.

I am a co-owner in an apartment in Calpe. There are 24 apartments and each has a number of different owners.  In total we have about 200 owners.  This is not a timeshare as each owner has their own deeds. The apartments were built in the late 1960s and have operated on a co-ownership basis since then. A committee of co-owners (of which I’m one) runs and manages the apartments - there is no private company involved.

We are currently looking into offering wi-fi services to our co-owners only, but are aware there may be legal implications.  At the moment our on site manager’s office is equipped with telephone and broadband service under contract with telefonica and which is in our manager’s name. None of our apartments has any telephone or broadband connections, neither would we want them to have. We have got as far as purchasing and installing a router which will supply a strong enough signal to reach all 24 apartments. Before we go any further we need to know what legal angles we should be aware of. For example, do we need a special licence or contract, who is legally liable if one of our owners downloads illegal material etc.

I’d be grateful for any help or advice

Ginny

Posted: 28 February 2012 02:16 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2855
Joined  2007-10-19

offering wi-fi services is very big think ... why you ask the Legal liability is with the bill payer as you dont have a licence to provide and you wont get the speeds that need , yes go one telphone company you get ok - bad speed , where we have hight speeds and all the Wifi Antennas, RF Amplifiers, Surge Protectors cableing

We supply to hotels chains , radio and tv , outside brodcast , We ASTRA Telefonica, Authorizing Agents , last year Telefonica has had to provide a wholesale ADSL internet service to its company i work for in Spain at a regulated price, under rules designed to promote fair competition this has work in good way for us
Were only company in spain that will provied Fixed lines net ( yes no calls on this line so lot faster to run dsl , are speed are also guaranteed with weekly reports
and you own Customer relationship manager . are system is full backed up with standby system . we only had 8 company with out DSL for more then 35 mins - 1 hour in 2 years
now for bad news , we not cheap ...

Jurdy

Posted: 03 March 2012 09:43 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  682
Joined  2007-11-01

Not sure of legal implications Ginny,
but here on CDS, there are known installations on peoples rooves/apartments which acts as a transmitter/relay point for a private provider for Eg (eg Citrus red your way?>) who then do a deal with the owner of the building the antenna is on. So you may be able to get a reduced cost/free? system for all….. (where they just pay their individual phone calls)....  Ask around. I am sure these co’s would carry the legal liability?