Wifi reception ........variable
Posted: 01 August 2007 05:48 PM  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  20
Joined  2007-07-14

I have only had Wifi a couple of days but have noticed a big difference in the reception between the router and the Desktop PC downstairs.Upstairs on the laptop is no problem. My router a Zyxel P660HW as provided by telefonica has a fixed antenna and so it is not possible to change this. The strange thing is I cannot think why the reception changes? It is a large house but at the moment I am on my own and so there are no extraneous factors and yet the reception can change from poor to excellent in a matter of a few hours. I am worried that in the winter with all internal and external doors closed reception could be a real problem. I am wondering whether to change the router to a Netgear Rangemax Wireless Router WPN824 that seems to solve the problems of poor reception. Anyone had similar experiences.

Posted: 01 August 2007 07:20 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  112
Joined  2007-07-04

I can think of at least one reason why this could occur; interference combined with the composition of the building.  The first thing that you need to do is take the portable downstairs to see if the reception on this device changes to match that seen on the desktop.

Signature 

Posted: 01 August 2007 07:52 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Joined  2007-07-14

Hi Carlos,
Did that, sat with my laptop and with the desktop PC downstairs and watched the signal strength change on both computers and it covered the range from poor to excellent. Why? I live in a quite spot and there is no-one in the house. Upstairs next to the router the signal stays on excellent. Any experience with the netgear router? Another question you might be able to answer…please..my connection speed is 54.0Mbs but from a speed check I’m getting around 400kbs. I’m signed up for 512kbs…what does the 54.0 Mbs mean?
cheers ian

Posted: 01 August 2007 11:47 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-07-04

OK, the easy bit first.  The 54 Mbps refers to the maximum available speed between the wireless devices.  In fact you?ll never see this because of overheads and the like.  But basically this is the connection speed between WiFi devices and the WiFi access point (AP).

Depending on the contract that you have with your provider you?ll have a service with two speeds defined.  ADSL supports maximum data rates up to 40 Mbps when receiving data (known as the downstream rate) and from 16 to 640 Kbps (this may be slightly higher now) when sending data (known as the upstream rate).

I?m not sure what you tested to arrive at 400Kbps, but this is very respectable if you have a downstream rate of 512Kbps.

For the 2.4 GHz wireless LANs (which most systems are), there are many sources of interfering signals.  For example microwave ovens, mobile phones, wireless phones, Bluetooth devices, video senders, cars etc etc.  Don?t forget that these signals can be generated by your neighbours and you won?t be aware until you start to study the problem.

One suggestion is that where you have your desktop, downstairs, that area is being exposed to interfering signals.  You should only consider this a problem is it?s affecting your throughput or dropping you off the network.  If you?re ?happy? with the throughput of the desktop computer, do nothing ? live with what you have.

If not and if you cannot remove the source of these interfering signals try changing the channel that your wireless AP is using.  Generally these systems are configured to automatically select the best channel, but they don?t always get it right.  You?ll probably have to try this a couple of times using channels at either end of the range.  You may also need to change the setup on the computers so that they match the channel number on the AP.

Good luck.

Signature 

Posted: 01 August 2007 11:57 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Joined  2007-07-14

Thanks for the reply and your very helpful information and advice.
I don’t know why I’m so surprised when I consider that the TV digi box is forever losing reception and at other times gaining channels and so I’m sure lots of things can affect the reception. It just I hadn’t expected this within the confines of the house when I’m the only one here and everything else seems reasonably constant.
Cheers Ian

Posted: 02 August 2007 12:04 AM   [ # 5 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-07-04

Check this out :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEYq6AC73sI

Signature