USB -WIFI
Posted: 13 June 2010 06:00 AM  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2010-06-09

I want to ditch my phone line but stay connected to the internet with a USB wifi connection (about 40 euros) - looks good on paper but does anyone have experience of these wireless devices? And any thoughts about the best coverage or deals (telefonica/Vodafone/Orange…)?

This should be cheaper than a fixed monthly line rental as well as being able to take it with you.

Thanks

Signature 

Looking for holiday villas in Spain? Villa Pradomar, Costa Tropical - private villa rental.

Posted: 28 June 2010 05:33 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  23
Joined  2010-06-22

I live in a remote valley with very poor internet availability and several people I know have internet with a usb mobile ‘dongle’. It seems to work fine for them. The ones I know use vodafone.  It obviously depends on the network coverage in your area, and whether there is 3G coverage.

I tried the same system earlier this year when I was in the UK for about 6 weeks. I bought a pay as you go dongle from the 3 network. It worked fine, and was surprisingly quick. the main problem I found was that it gobbled up the bandwidth I had paid for - until I turned off images in firefox - from that moment onwards it was incredibly cheap. some sites don’t work well - I turned the images back on, used that site and then turned them back off. Skype worked a treat - and didn’t use much bandwidth either.

On balance - I would say it depends on the coverage you have, your usage, if the deal is for unlimited bandwidth or not - and whether you can cope turning images off if not.

Signature 

Architects and Eco Construction, Malaga, Marbella, Granada ..
http://www.ecovidainternational.com

Posted: 26 November 2011 10:48 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2011-11-25
jmthomas - 13 June 2010 06:00 AM

I want to ditch my phone line but stay connected to the internet with a USB wifi connection (about 40 euros) - looks good on paper but does anyone have experience of these wireless devices? And any thoughts about the best coverage or deals (telefonica/Vodafone/Orange…)?

This should be cheaper than a fixed monthly line rental as well as being able to take it with you.

Thanks

I found a cool product i bought one of these gobabymobile Mini WiFi ?dongle dock? works with ?ANY DONGLE ON ANY NETWORK?

Works great now me and the whole famliy can use the internet , and you can have upto 50 devices conected to it at anytime

and it will work with any dongle on any network anywhere in the world ( see pic below )

Just google ( gobabymobile ) as they have a said iam not able to post links ?

Thanks for reading

ed 😊

Posted: 26 November 2011 08:55 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2855
Joined  2007-10-19

when you buy a DONGLE from any phone company and you can change the setting to new company with have two buy again ANY DONGLE ON ANY NETWORK

and you like was removed aswell please no links read the rules

Jurdy

Posted: 27 November 2011 04:43 AM   [ # 4 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2011-11-25
jurdyr - 26 November 2011 08:55 PM

when you buy a DONGLE from any phone company and you can change the setting to new company with have two buy again ANY DONGLE ON ANY NETWORK

Jurdy

Humm yes but this is open to any network >

So i can plug my UK dongle in when iam visting UK ,
and then just plug my Movistar in when i get home in Spain , it works very simple

just thought i would let you peeps know as its been a real life saver for me

ed 😊 

Posted: 27 November 2011 07:49 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2855
Joined  2007-10-19

if you had read the rules befor post up links that you could got in touch with one Moderators and ask about postting link two website ,
jurdy

Posted: 01 December 2011 04:02 AM   [ # 6 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2011-11-30

You can use a mobile wifi hotspot with the sim from any dongle but it will probably have to be unlocked like a mobile phone. What I will say is if you intend to check emails or read the papers a dongle will be fine.
HOWEVER
if you want to download films, music etc or “stream” T.V fB’s downloaded and it’s not a lot. Also at full speed they are not upto the standard of a fixed isp(which in most of Spain is P*** Poor compared to the U.K Grrrr)
HTH

Posted: 01 December 2011 09:38 AM   [ # 7 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2011-11-25
CalpeVillas - 01 December 2011 04:02 AM

You can use a mobile wifi hotspot with the sim from any dongle but it will probably have to be unlocked like a mobile phone. What I will say is if you intend to check emails or read the papers a dongle will be fine.
HOWEVER
if you want to download films, music etc or “stream” T.V fB’s downloaded and it’s not a lot. Also at full speed they are not upto the standard of a fixed isp(which in most of Spain is P*** Poor compared to the U.K Grrrr)
HTH

This mini dongle dock is not locked to a network , it will work with any dongle you put in it

its very simple i was also impressed by the size of this thing its tiny (about the size of deck of playing cards)

Hope this helps

ed 😊

Posted: 07 December 2011 04:31 PM   [ # 8 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2011-12-07
Philip_Gilmore - 28 June 2010 05:33 PM

I live in a remote valley with very poor internet availability and several people I know have internet with a usb mobile ‘dongle’. It seems to work fine for them. The ones I know use vodafone.  It obviously depends on the network coverage in your area, and whether there is 3G coverage.

I tried the same system earlier this year when I was in the UK for about 6 weeks. I bought a pay as you go dongle from the 3 network. It worked fine, and was surprisingly quick. the main problem I found was that it gobbled up the bandwidth I had paid for - until I turned off images in firefox - from that moment onwards it was incredibly cheap. some sites don’t work well - I turned the images back on, used that site and then turned them back off. Skype worked a treat - and didn’t use much bandwidth either.

On balance - I would say it depends on the coverage you have, your usage, if the deal is for unlimited bandwidth or not - and whether you can cope turning images off if not.

Thanks for the tip about turning of the images! Never occurred to me!

Posted: 29 April 2012 03:39 AM   [ # 9 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  818
Joined  2006-06-15

dgmn12…

Your post deleted. offensive.

Have sent you a pm.

fb

Mod / Admin

Signature 

Help desperately needed