Banking in Salamanca
Posted: 31 July 2007 03:06 AM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2007-07-24

My daughter will be arriving in Salamanca at the end of August. We have been having some difficulty trying to determine how to go about making sure that she has access to money while she is there without incurring excessive fees. She has a Visa credit card with a credit union here as well as a Visa check card and a Mastercard check card. Could anyone tell me if that will be sufficient or should she open an account with a Spanish bank when she arrives there. I have read through many of the posts here and still am not sure what is the best course to take.  Thanks.

Posted: 03 August 2007 03:15 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2007-08-03

If she is just studying abroad, then I think it would be fine to only have the credit cards. I studied abroad in 2003-2004 and I never opened up a bank account here in Spain. I still haven’t opened up a bank account. I still bank online with my bank from home. I have only been payed in cash, working at the language academy’s. When I get my first paycheck, then I will open up a bank account. Otherwise I do not have any real need for one.

Posted: 03 August 2007 04:52 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  101
Joined  2007-02-02

Your daughter doesn’t need to open up a Spanish bank account. Cards work as well here as at home. I would recommend that when she withdraws cash though, she gets as much as her daily limit allows so she doesn’t have to pay a non-network withdrawal fee on every 20 euros, but on every 300 euros say. But if she does want to open a Spanish bank account, all she’ll need is her passport (for a non-resident bank account).

Posted: 04 August 2007 01:24 AM   [ # 3 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2007-08-04

We just got back from a visit to Spain - I opened a Schwab Bank Visa debit card account - no fees on any foreign transactions (and they pay 4.75% on your funds in the account)

I used it both at the ATMs and like a credit card with no problems and no hidden fees ( I used it at 7-8 different bank ATMs with no fees at any of them)

you may want to check them out - I saved a bunch by using it instead of my usual Amex of MasterCard