Buying garage space in Alicante region
Posted: 09 June 2013 01:24 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2013-06-09

Hello,

I am new in this forum.

We have an apartment in a rural village near Alicante, 10 minute from the beaches of Guardamar.

After owning our apartment for a few years, we are thinking of buying the corresponding garage space in the basement from the builders.

Does anyone know whether this would merely involve a simple transfer of funds and release of deeds, or would solicitors be needed in order to re-draft our existing deed of the apartment to include the garage space?

I would appreciate any advice, especially from those who have been through this process.

Thanks.

Posted: 12 June 2013 10:45 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  744
Joined  2009-01-22

I would expect the garage space to be registered separately and have its own escritura. So you will complete another buying process and register it in the land registry as a separate item. This is beneficial as it could then be also sold separately if at a later stage you do not need it.

Garage spaces can be taxed (the IVA - VAT) at a higher rate so be careful as this can be avoided by ensuring that it is understood this is your first and only space and is for your personal use.

As always best to use good legal advice to make sure all goes smoothly.

This will of course increase your IBI tax (and community payments) but only a small amount.

Signature 

Rob
http://spainreexposed.wordpress.com/

Posted: 16 June 2013 09:35 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2013-06-09

Thank you for that. The price of the garage space has gone down over the years from 9k Euros to 1k Euros, and so the tax would be smaller. We will check with our solicitors regarding the deeds.

Best wishes.

Ramos

Posted: 17 June 2013 01:00 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  744
Joined  2009-01-22

For a 1,000? I don’t think you can go far wrong!! Well worth it to protect the car from the sun, bumps and dents and worse!

Signature 

Rob
http://spainreexposed.wordpress.com/