Now I am in Spain I Share the Rage ARRRRRRGGGGHH!
Posted: 02 September 2012 12:38 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2012-07-29

I wasted several hours of 3 days searching for one of those magical, efficient, high tech and inexpensive insertable phone cards that used to work perfectly in all the public phones just a few years ago.  Luckily my old French Telecarte still worked in the Public Phone in El Prat and had enough minutes on it to reach the place I was staying but now I am out I can’t find a new one.  If anyone knows where to still get one let me know.  In the phone boxes (cabinas?) it says you can get one from “Movistar” but I haven’t been able to check yet.  I notice dozens of locutorios have popped up for the myriad of souls like us that just need to make a call!  Anyone know any good prepaid phones that will also work in France, Germany?
In the US they had something called Net10 where you can get a good Samsung for $10 (on sale) and 750 minute top up card for a month for $25.  The only drawback to that one is there were no top up cards that lasted for more than 3 months.  I do not expect such a thing in Spain but anything like it would be nice.

Posted: 02 September 2012 09:47 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  818
Joined  2006-06-15

Dont know about phone card availability but… Movistar, Orange, Vodafone etc will be only to happy to sell you a cheap PAYG phone which will be tied to their own specific network. If you wish to use it outside of Spain you will be working via the issuing companies partners in those countries and liable to roaming charges. PAYG phones are available from around 50? or maybe less. Be advised that roaming charges are very high? You will need proof of address and your passport when buying? Topping up can be done online via ATM machines or garages supermarkets etc.

Signature 

Help desperately needed

https://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Posted: 02 September 2012 10:25 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2012-07-29

“Be advised that roaming charges are very high”  Hmm maybe I’ll just do without.  Doesn’t seem worth it.

Posted: 19 September 2012 01:04 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2012-08-24

I and my family changed to “Hits” a couple of years ago, the first benefit is that a call to other Hits mobiles is free for 5 minutes (15c connection). I am on a 5c/minute tariff, which means 5c/minute to ANY network. Hits also has a very good roaming service and very cheap international calls, especially to landlines. One thing that I find very good is the online account which provides you with a lot of information including your call records (when I was with Movistar PAYG I was convinced that my credit just disappeared!).

Hits now offers ‘Internet’ at 5c/minute and also automatic top up, i.e. set a minimum limit and an amount to top up by, there is also a maximum usage limit.

Also customer support in Spanish or English.

I’ve been pretty satisfied with Hits, so much so that I haven’t really looked elsewhere, although I do believe that YOIGO offer a similar plan…

...and, No, I don’t have any association with Hits apart from being a customer!!  😉

Posted: 19 September 2012 08:50 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2855
Joined  2007-10-19

roaming charges in spain can be very cheap , if compair it two topping up in spain ...  , You have EU Pay Monthly Contracts , again it up two you to look for the best tariff plans , one boss has what called Passport with . Passport allows you to talk and text while you’re abroad at low rates. If you travel often, you should sign up for this . Spain is know for there very hight cost on top up , pay as you go . One girls here top up her phone up 40 euros permonth ... now her usage was texting and calls , no net ,
becareful in spain . it not cheap ....

Posted: 01 March 2014 11:08 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2014-02-27

The only way to get reduce roaming fees significantly is to ask for call back. I live in Spain but most of every working day I’m in Gibraltar. When someone call me I pay 8c/min and not any connection fee. You’ll pay the same receiving calls in Germany and France as they are in the “same zone” (at least for Yoigo)

Of course the best situation is if you can connect to wifi and use Viber or Skype.

Posted: 23 March 2014 09:40 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2014-03-23

I think it would be easier if you buy a cheap smartphone and sim card. You could install viber which allows you to make calls all over the world for free with just wi-fi as well as free texts. Your wouldn’t need to worry about phone cards anymore.