Tax? working in Spain for short time, UK
Posted: 02 October 2007 12:36 AM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2007-10-02

Hi,
I have been reading posts and the website and they’re very informative. However, most of it is relevant to “real” ex-pats.

What tax and where I pay if I’m a resident for tax purposes in the UK, but then, I leave my work for short time (2 months) and go to work in Spain (on a contract).

Intuitively (please correct me if I’m wrong!), I shouldn’t pay taxes in Spain in this case, just in the UK (on this 2-months income).
If this is correct, how do I avoid paying tax in Spain and how do I claim my earnings in the UK? Any forms I need?
Or did I get it wrong? I have been asking my future employer, but they are not sure.
Many thanks for advice!

Posted: 02 October 2007 01:44 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  760
Joined  2006-06-27

OK you are NOT resident for tax purposes for a 2 month contract - thats only say around 60 days - you need to be out of the UK for 183 days before you have a problem. The exact semantics I dont know depends on your employers - but in theory whoever is paying you in Spain should pay you gross of tax and you can declare it in the UK - there will be a section on the UK tax return forms.

Signature 

Rob
Best Choice Villas sl
http://www.bcvillas.com
Selling legal property on the Costa Blanca

Posted: 02 October 2007 04:39 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2007-10-02

Thanks a lot for a quick reply. Once I know things for sure, I will post what I know on the forum.