Civil Engineering Options?
Posted: 03 October 2007 03:42 AM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2007-10-03

Could anyone provide me with info reguarding job options(and demand) in the civil engineering field. Land Surveying, drafting and the like. I have been working as an Instrument Operator for an Engineering and Surveying company for over a year now and would like to find a job in a similar field in Spain. I should add here that I am currently living in the States so I don’t have access to any current, local listings Spain nor will I be able to migrate for atleast six months and am exploring my options, trying to pin down a work path and with any luck secure a job before going. I’m learning AutoCad now. Wanting to go into 2-D civil drafting but am not stuck on that plan.
  I will so greatly appreciate any information and/or insight.

Peace and Loves
  -k

Posted: 24 October 2007 03:19 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2007-02-04

Hi Kurt,

If you read spanish, try infojobs.net.

I’ve been living in Spain for the past 9 months.  I am a civil engineer (EIT) looking for work.  The Spanish have a different education system here, and I haven’t had luck finding work.  Spain has 2 types of engineering degrees: “Ingeniero Superior” and “Ingeniero Tecnico.”  5 yr vs 3 yr degrees.  An ingeniero superior is like a professional engineer in the states, and I can’t work as one.  There are more jobs as a tecnico, and you may have luck if you are looking for a drafting position.  Salaries are lower in Spain than they are back in US.  Granted the Euro is strong now, cost of living, in my opinion, isn’t that much lower.

Also, there is a process of “homologacion” having the spanish government recognize your degree.  This can take over a year once you have all the paperwork done.  I didn’t think it was that important at first, but now everyone I have interviewed with has asked about this process.

Posted: 30 October 2007 11:19 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2007-10-30

Greeting-

I’ll be taking my PE exam next April, do you think I’ve a better chance getting a job in spain?