English teaching jobs in Andalucia (January 2008)
Posted: 17 November 2007 06:34 PM  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2007-10-21

English teaching jobs in Andalucia (January 2008)

I am looking for contact information of language centers, academies, and other small English teaching businesses (public/private) in Andalucia, Spain (Seville, Granada, and Corboda preferably in that order).  I am looking for a job (freelance prefered) for an immediate start as of January 2008.  What is the ENglish teaching market like in Southern Spain at the beginning of the new year? Where are most of the native English teachers working?

What kind of hourly rate can I expect? in Barcelona, it varies anywhere between 10-12/hour (the shit), and up to 18-22/hour (company rates).  Of course, the hours are scare, and offer little guarantee from week to week.

Where should I be looking for advertisements? In Barcelona, loquo.com is great.

Posted: 02 December 2007 02:30 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  235
Joined  2007-04-25

We have a friend who has moved to our village near Granada, who took her TEFL English Teaching qualification in Granada and because she passed with distinction, the collage itself put her forward for work via the college.

Her pay was only ?10 and hour, but she looked at the experience gained as equally important and felt she was lucky to get that. The downside was that the initial opportunities were sporadic and certainly she could not have made a solid regular income from what the college was passing her way.

She has managed to find private work with different companies, who want their employees to learn a little English, and is actively promoting herself throughout the area. What she tends to do now is charge a set fee for a group of students per lesson. She’s now got regular bookings and her earnings have increased significantly.

I think something to bear in mind is that the higher band of rates you mentioned might not be possible in Andalucia, given that it generally suffers the lowest national average wage. Granted though, earning potential is often potentially higher in the cities themselves.

Signature 

Visit our website - http://www.granadapropertyreform.com

“Dedicated to making your Spanish house a home”

Posted: 02 December 2007 07:15 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2007-10-21

Charging a group rate (of say 30euro/hour for 3 students) is excellent if you can get it.  But, usually a teacher needs to stick around a long time before his name, and reputation are known to the point that he can get groups of students.  Not really suitable for someone wanting to make quick cash while traveling through the area.  Also, students usually want a guarantee from their English course.  A school, language center, or some sort of business usually covers that, but an individual tutor has a harder time convincing would be students his English is better than the advertised programs of local language mills.  All in all, it’s great work if you can get it, but I doubt you’d get it.

10/hour is awful.