Teaching English info
Posted: 22 March 2008 08:50 PM  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  36
Joined  2007-12-27

Hope anyone can help on this.

I?m a British national with 8 years teaching English experience, TEFL certificate and a Master?s Degree in teaching English.  With my qualifications and experience, where do you think I have the best chances of landing a teaching job in the Andalucia region?  I am currently undecided which city to move to in Andalucia but obviously want to be located in a place where there are plenty of English teaching positions.

Being a British national, could I freelance and set up by myself or is that not allowed?  If allowed, do you think I would be taking a great risk by doing such a thing?

I would really appreciate any assistance.

Thanks.

Adrian

Posted: 13 April 2008 07:43 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  24
Joined  2008-04-11

Hi Adrian,

With your qualifications and experience, you won’t have any trouble finding a teaching post in Spain. If I were you, I’d check out the British Council website and see if they have any vacancies in Andalucia. The British Council pays better than most language schools in Spain (of which there are many).

In Andalucia, the best cities for finding work are undoubtedly Granada, Malaga or Sevilla. You could probably move to any of them tomorrow and find work within days. TEFL.com is the number one source for TEFL vacancies, but you might also like to try TEFL.net and eslemployment.com. If you want to set yourself up as a freelance teacher, make sure you have enough private students to provide you with a regular income. If you register as a freelancer (or an ‘autonomo’ in Spanish), you’ll have to pay approx. 205 euros a month for health, social security and pension cover, and you’ll also have to declare your earnings for tax purposes.

If you have any further questions, I’d be delighted to help.

Best regards,

Paul

adrianmark - 22 March 2008 08:50 PM

Hope anyone can help on this.

I?m a British national with 8 years teaching English experience, TEFL certificate and a Master?s Degree in teaching English.  With my qualifications and experience, where do you think I have the best chances of landing a teaching job in the Andalucia region?  I am currently undecided which city to move to in Andalucia but obviously want to be located in a place where there are plenty of English teaching positions.

Being a British national, could I freelance and set up by myself or is that not allowed?  If allowed, do you think I would be taking a great risk by doing such a thing?

I would really appreciate any assistance.

Thanks.

Adrian

Posted: 14 April 2008 06:38 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-27

Great post, very informative.

Many thanks Paul.

If I have further questions I’ll be in touch.

Cheers.

Posted: 14 April 2008 05:04 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  24
Joined  2008-04-11

Cheers, Adrian ... Check this out. It’s on TEFL.com today: http://www.tefl.com/jobs/job.html?jo_id=33442

1,400 euros is a very decent monthly salary for Spain 😊

All the best,

Paul

Posted: 14 April 2008 06:04 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-27

Thanks Paul

Looks like a very attractive deal.

I owe you one.

Cheers mate.