Most cost effective way to heat a swimming pool?
Posted: 20 May 2008 01:40 PM  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  90
Joined  2007-12-02

Can anyone tell me what my options are for heating my swimming pool. It’s so cold here in Madrid that really the only time i get into my pool in either in July or August but I’d like to get more use out of it, a friend in Sweden is already using his pool! he has some kind of system with black pipes but I haven’t a clue whether there is anything like that available in Spain?

Signature 

In it for the long haul
http://www.hot-villa.com

Posted: 20 May 2008 05:32 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  760
Joined  2006-06-27

Yes there are solar panel systems available - there must be suppliers in Madrid - look in the local papers or ask in electrical shops or pool suppliers.

Signature 

Rob
Best Choice Villas sl
http://www.bcvillas.com
Selling legal property on the Costa Blanca

Posted: 09 June 2008 04:33 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  26
Joined  2008-06-02

You have 3 main choices.
1. Get a good solar cover.  I have one and it saves evaporation, reduces overnight temperature loss and warms the pool water quite a few degrees.
2. Install solar heating panels on the recirculation circuit but remember a moderate pool of 8m by 4m by ave 1.5 m deep is a whopping 48 tonnes of water to be heated and therefore you need quite a few square metres of panel to make a difference.
3. Install a heat pump unit on the recirculation circuit.  Basically a large air conditioning type unit running in reverse using the ambient air temperature to boost the water temp.  Not cheap either to buy or to run but it does provide the power needed.

I made a diy solar panel for mine but it lasted only 3 years before falling apart from UV degradation and a 2 square metre panel was just not sufficient power.  The floating solar cover is, in my opinion the best investment.

Posted: 27 January 2009 03:31 AM   [ # 3 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  63
Joined  2008-10-24

I have choosen for solar panels (will be installed this summer), as the climate in the Costa Blanca is very nice, you don’t need that many panels.  I will also heat the watertank with the same panels.

Posted: 27 January 2009 03:45 AM   [ # 4 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  59
Joined  2009-01-26

don’t know how efficient it is but a pool cover?
If its a dark material it should absorb heat quite well, and the outley should not be excessive.

Signature 

Costa del Sol property
Costa del Sol Blog

Posted: 28 January 2009 03:39 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2009-01-28

We have el nino solar collectors made by Texsun and available throughout Europe.  They are much cheaper than buying solar panels and efficient when used with a pool cover to prevent the heat disappearing overnight.  Do a google search for stockists and technical information.

Posted: 28 January 2009 04:45 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  156
Joined  2007-06-11

Different systems offer different pro’s and Con’s. and loads of factors need to be considered on each installation.
UV resistant Poly systems tend to be lower cost but have some life limitation ( the length of the guarantee is usually an good indication, also look for the small print in the guarantee)
Copper tube/flat plate collectors , usually are quite efficient and generally have a primary and secondary circuit with a titanium or stainless steel collector, meaning immunity from the chemicals and salts etc, as indicated above, these can also be integrated into a DHW for central heating system to act as a preheater or supply DHW demands when surplus is available.
Vacuum collectors can be very efficient,  again make type is important,

Heatpumps are acost effective solution ( install cost).,  reckon on about 3500?/4000? for an 8X4x1.5 pool with running cost can be as little as 450? P.A.
Heatpumps can be integrated with a Solar heating system to provide a very overall effective solution, providing good heating even when there is little or no sunshine (Make sure your power supply can handle the start up current on a heatpump system!!!!}
At the end of the day you get what you pay for, key points is to ask for references, discuss with other customers, and go look at installations,

Signature 

Mike

Posted: 30 September 2010 09:45 AM   [ # 7 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  20
Joined  2010-09-13

I would recommend solar pool cover for three main reasons;

1. It will save you from high bills due to electricity usage compared to pool heaters.
2. It will protect your pool from debris and also accidents such as drowning
3. It is cheaper than solar panels.

Hope this helps 😊

Signature 

pool winter cover

Posted: 08 November 2010 07:46 AM   [ # 8 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  20
Joined  2010-09-13

I’ll go for solar cover because it doesn’t just heat the pool, it also covers the pool for maintenance purposes and among the three I think it’s the cheapest.

Signature 

pool winter cover