student work permit
Posted: 02 June 2008 08:57 AM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2008-06-02

Hi!
So im an american moving to Madrid in August to go to college. I have a student visa and plan on staying in the country indefinately. However, ive heard some conflicting stories regarding the legality of non-EU foreign students working. I’ve heard that with a student visa, you can work up to 30 hrs a week in spain. But ive also heard that you would need to get a student work permit, and that it is only possible to get one if you already have found a job.

I was hoping someone could help me out… can i work up to 30 hours a week? or do i need to find a company to get a student work permit?

If anyone has experience with this please help me!

Posted: 22 June 2008 06:21 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2008-06-22

Hi, yes, you can work part-time on your student visa (20 hours per week).  The 1st thing you do (after getting your student visa) is look for a job.  When you find one, then you go apply for the work permit.  It’s easy and your new employer will be able to help you with the papers.  It’s a fairly simple process once you find a place to work.

Good luck!

Posted: 24 June 2008 04:29 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2008-06-24

I am Spaniard.
You only can work for 20 hours a week, but which employer wish to contract a student for only 20 hours??
It is not so easy, with a bit of luck the employer make you as contract for 20 hours but wants you to work 40-48 hours a week, and he/she will pay you 2 parts (one part will be paid to you legally, and the other illegally (cashmoney in you hands).
So you are welcome to the ‘obscure’ working spannish economy system (Portugal and Italy too).The best you can do if work at restaurants who need english speaking employs or some Starbucks. Even if you are qualified, it is hard for youngers to get a job.
welcome!
this is the reality