< 1 2 3 > 
2 of 3
Gardening
Posted: 02 May 2007 01:55 AM   [ # 16 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  27
Joined  2006-09-15

I got my masters last year so I am looking forward to talking to like minded people, thanks.

Posted: 11 May 2007 11:05 PM   [ # 17 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2007-05-10
Flowergirl - 29 March 2007 02:09 PM

My husband and I have been living in France for 10 years and are now considering moving to Spain for warmer weather, specifically near Valencia. I have noticed that there is no dedicated site here for gardening. Are there no gardeners out there? I really would like to know what sort of fruit can be grown in Spain besides citrus and olives. Is it possible to grow cherries or raspberries? Are there any plant catalogues available in Spain?

I too am looking forward to the chance of growing things that i couldn’t do with much success in the U.K. The house we are buying has a very well established garden, with olives, cherries, a lot of pine trees and some sort of nut tree that the owner couldn’t name! I plan to have raised beds, to grow veg, soft fruits and herbs closer to the house.
We are lucky enough to have about 2 acres, so I will be using the rear of the house as my ‘allotment’ area.
I too am having a job getting info on growing in Spain, I’ve been lucky enough to find a guy on another site who is also taking his Master in horticulture and has been a mine of information!
Lets hope this thread is the start of lots of helpful info! :cheese:

Signature 

“Throw your dreams into space like a kite, and you do not know what it will bring back, a new life, a new friend, a new love, a new country.”  :coolsmile:

Posted: 12 May 2007 12:28 AM   [ # 18 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  25
Joined  2007-04-22

At the end of May the third book in the same format gardening book in the most useful trilogy opf garsening books will be lauched on the Santana stand at the Alicante HOMES AND GARDENS SHOW ON THE 26/27 May….see http://www.gemspain.com for full details of the show. The three books are titled
a. Your garden in Spain - From planning to planting and maintenance,
b.Growing healthy fruit in Spain - From strawberries to oranges and melons, and
c. Growing heathy vegetables in Spain - From sprouting seeds to giant pumpkins.
All are published by Santana Books .

Posted: 06 June 2007 03:47 PM   [ # 19 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2007-06-06

Hi ,

Iam a florist , need some tips on gardening…. for best results…

Serena

Posted: 07 June 2007 12:20 AM   [ # 20 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Joined  2007-04-22

Dear Serena,
nOT SURE FROM YOUR MESSAGE WHETHER YOU ARE A FLORIST WITH A FLOWER SHOP OR INTERSTED IN FLOWERS.
BUT YOU SAY YOU NEED SOME HELP SO SUGGEST YOU OBTAIN THE BOOK ‘YOUR GARDEN IN SPAIN.FROM PLANNING TO PLANTOMNG AND MAINTENANCE ’ THAT WAS PUBLISHED BY SANTANA TWO WEEKS AGO . DETAILS AND LINK FOR BUYING WILL BE FOUND ON <www.gardeninginspain.com>. Includes descriptions of 400 plants and a CHAPTER ON PAINTING WITH PLANTSETC

Posted: 20 June 2007 12:45 AM   [ # 21 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Joined  2007-04-22

Have you noted that there is now a new version 0f ‘YOUR GARDEN IN SPAin - from planning to planting and maintenance’ at 19.90 euros in the same format as GROWING HEALTHY FRUIT IN SPAIN and GROWING HEALTHY VEGETABLES IN SPAIN WHICH ARE BOTH PRICED AT 14.90.
All are kisted in trhe summer BOOKWORLD ESPANA CATALOQUE AND WEBSITE AS WELL AW BEING DESCRIBED ON http://www.gardeninginspain.com

Posted: 25 July 2007 07:36 PM   [ # 22 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  166
Joined  2007-07-25

Hi

I have a terraced garden and am looking to move into the country (when we can find a house….....sigh), anyway I grow herbs and tomatoes and I have a Apple, Cherry, Fig and Lemon tree that are in pots, I am desperate to get them into the ground so that they can really thrive.

I also wanted to point you to a website that I just came across that has a new range of gardening tools and accessories, might be useful to some of you here.

Have a great sunny day 😊

Fruity
http://www.premier-tools.com - mainly car tools and the like but they have a new section for us gardeners out there 😊

Signature 

Scoliosis Support Network
Online Gaming Jobs

Posted: 01 August 2007 09:20 PM   [ # 23 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  46
Joined  2007-06-01

Hi there, we live 3,000 ft above sea level, and are growing, cherries (which were divine and far too many), nectarines, apples, walnuts, almonds, olives (obviously!!) membrillo (i.e. quince), pears, loads of grapes.  Wish you all the luck, and just remember to water…...which we do…..NOT!!  Luckily everything seems to be living…..so far!!

all the best with the move.

Alicia X

Posted: 01 August 2007 09:47 PM   [ # 24 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Joined  2007-04-22

If you have gluts of any fruit try drying them. We have a circular tray drier and now produce all we need for snacks on walks and predinner taspas etc ...plus putting into home made bread and cakes. The electric ttay drier takes all the hassle out of insect attacks, moulds from humid nights etc.Most things dry iovernight or in half a day including herbs and tomatoes as well as fruit.

Posted: 02 August 2007 09:22 PM   [ # 25 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-06-01

Hi Greenfingers, obviously you are, but we are certainly, but we are learning.  Thanks for the tips.  Hoping next year will be better organised and hoping for a good old crop of everything!!  Fingers crossed.

Alicia

Posted: 13 August 2007 02:03 AM   [ # 26 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Joined  2007-04-22

If you live in Andulucia we will be pleased to swap notes at THE OVER 50’S SHOW in Estepona in November.

Posted: 13 August 2007 09:18 PM   [ # 27 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-06-01

Hi there again, we absolutely do live in Andalucia, outskirts of Granada.  Where is Estepona?

Posted: 06 July 2008 06:17 PM   [ # 28 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  682
Joined  2007-11-01

Hi all.. I know I have joined in late on this thread.. but hope by posting it will be revived! 
We are based near Mijas Costa - and have a beautiful campo plot - all growing organic (well - as home grown as you can without getting the cert!)... veg/salad.

Would be good to chat with others on south coast who are growing veggies.. we are currently in our first year and only just finding out that very little wants to grow in this blistering heat!  We DO have a mountain of tomatoes (3 types).. but courgette, lettuce and cucumber wilting/refusing to come out - despite 3 soakings a day!

Anyone who wants to chat re edible stuff please PM me asap!

Happy growing!

SJ

ps - I just found a website of a dedicated local gardening forum.. but have temporarily fogotten the name.. will google and see if I can find it!

Posted: 07 July 2008 11:34 AM   [ # 29 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Joined  2007-04-22

Re recent posting from Migas re growing vegetables in the south. As anywhere in Spain improving the soil is even more important than watering as a GOOD VEGETABLE GARDEN SOIL NEEDS TO BE MOISTURE RETENTIVE ESPECIALLY IN THE SUMMER.
As mentioned in our book GROWING HEALTHY VEGETABLES IN SPAIN it is worth investing in a box of TERRACOTEM ....DISTRIBUTOR IS IN MIGAS COSTA ....TEL ...95 2582599 ask for Christina who speaks some English….mix into planting holes and seed drills to help prevent drying out. Also lettuces cann go to seed quickly when it gets hot ....they do not need all the sun essential for tomatoes and peppers so try growing in a semi shaded postion or under shading.
By the way our publishers Santana are also in Migas if you don’t have our book. tel..952 485838
Hope that helps new member from Migas and others.
Clodagh and Dick Handscombe Alias Greenfingers ...originally in Costa Sol News for seven years.

Posted: 07 July 2008 04:06 PM   [ # 30 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2008-07-07
Flowergirl - 29 March 2007 02:09 PM

My husband and I have been living in France for 10 years and are now considering moving to Spain for warmer weather, specifically near Valencia. I have noticed that there is no dedicated site here for gardening. Are there no gardeners out there? I really would like to know what sort of fruit can be grown in Spain besides citrus and olives. Is it possible to grow cherries or raspberries? Are there any plant catalogues available in Spain?

I have a lovely crop of tomatoes growing on my balcony right - they do really well here!

< 1 2 3 > 
2 of 3
‹‹ Looking for Outdoors Groups      wedding ››