Advice for location for bar in Spain
Posted: 01 October 2008 03:43 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2008-10-01

My husband and I ran a small bar very successfully in Malta for 4 years.  We are thinking to relocate to Spain and wondered if anyone had any ideas about possibly the best kind of area/location?  Do you think that it would be worthwhile with a bar, i.e. would it be a profitable kind of business?  Does anyone have any idea of the prices?  Are there cash & carry places?  What kind of extra overheads would we incur?  I look forward to hearing any suggestions!  Thankyou. 😊

Posted: 01 October 2008 07:16 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2855
Joined  2007-10-19

pub are fineding it hard due less cash in peoples wallets , over pricing off rents , key money on the sale off bars , rizing cost off power , water , licence , permits and list go on

day off making loads off dosh are well gone , days off moving to spain and making a mint , days by the pool/sea and working at night are also gone

You know the pub game in Malta will it lot harder here in spain with poeple , from 8 am - 2 am that work hours just to make a living in most small pubs
i hear off pub owners just hand the keys back to landlord and heading home

there a drinks war going on some the big area where over saturatedof Pubs there many pubs for sale but over priced and most pubs have two set off books .....
with tourists down in spain and islands

the list gose on and on i could be here for days on this

1 you need to know what area you want to go to live in
2 where to set up are buy a bar
3 what hours you want to work
4 what type off bar , bar , bar with food , bar with sports (tv ) 

give me a call via skype ( ha it free )
jurdy

i pm you with skype

Posted: 02 October 2008 01:15 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  303
Joined  2006-03-16

The good news is that Spaniards use bars all day everyday, from breakfast to the ultima copa or night-cap (so do tourists in season if you’re going for a resort location, but that might mean no business outside of holiday time).  The bad news is that the average small town in Spain probably has more bars than the whole of Malta and competition is intense.  Most traditional Spanish bars are run by families (who live in a flat above the bar) and while they manage, they don’t get rich.  You would have to do food to survive - in my part of Spain freshly-made hot tapas are FREE with drinks, and they have to be good quality or nobody will use your bar!

Signature 

Martin, Scotland and the Alpujarra.  http://www.casasierra.blogspot.com

Posted: 05 November 2008 08:26 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  48
Joined  2007-05-01

PM me if you want, I have a small cafe/bar for sale. Bargain at ?25,000.
NO TIME WASTERS PLEASE!!!!!