Spanish residency and citizenship
Posted: 06 September 2011 03:54 AM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2011-09-06

Hi all, i’m a dual new zealand/argentina citizen.I obtained my arg one by birth and nz by naturalisation. I’m married to a french citizen and are looking at moving to spain from australia. My question is, iF i enter spain on my arg pssport and a eu spouse visa, i can apply for citizenship after living there for 2 years right? Also since spain allows dual citizenship with argentina then i can retain my argentina citizenship but what about my nz one? Spain does not allow dual citizenship with nz and i would be required to renounce it infront of a spanish judge.  However spain cannot revoke the citizenship of another country. Nz allows renunciation of their citizenship but only through a formal request. Basically i want to know if i can somehow keep my nz nationality after applying for the spanish one using ny argentina one!!!

Posted: 07 September 2011 02:43 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  453
Joined  2008-12-30

gatsby11,
your eu spouse visa can only be issued in one passport. you can either have it in your nz passport or argentinian passport. if you decide to have it issued in your argentinian passport, then you enter spain as an argentinian, once you are issued your 5 year eu family member resident card, you can start applying for spanish citizenship after completing 2 years residency. process takes 2.5 years. you do not have to renounce your argentinian citizenship. regarding your nz citizen, how would they know you have it?

Posted: 07 September 2011 11:13 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2011-09-06

Thanks Aritz!
Seems pretty straightforward. Can’t wait to live there.

Posted: 12 September 2011 02:36 AM   [ # 3 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2011-04-15

There is a short video available which may help you : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXWZ3uAEKsw