Living in Spain but earning overseas
Posted: 26 June 2007 05:27 AM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2007-06-26

Sorry if this is a bit confusing 😊

Ok, I’m a New Zealander moving to Barcelona to live (My mother’s British so I also have a British passport).
When in Barcelona I will be working with a partner who will be still living New Zealand.

We will be working for all New Zealand companies and therefore all of my income will come from New Zealand.

My question is, what is my tax situation like? I obviously pay tax to the New Zealand government, but do I pay any to the Spanish government if none of my earnings are coming from Spain?

Has anyone been in a similar situation, or can point me in the direction of who I should contact (the Spanish revenue/Tax department)

Thanks.
Jeremy

Posted: 01 July 2007 08:59 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  27
Joined  2006-09-15

From what I understand Jeremy you will be a tax resident in Spain once you have lived there longer than 183 days out of every year.

If you end up in a double taxation situation by being charged tax in NZ, you will then have a bit of work to do, because you will then have to deduct the tax you get taken out in NZ from your Spanish tax.

You will have to find out what the residency rule is in NZ, I know in the UK it is 90 days.

Posted: 20 July 2007 02:59 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2007-06-26

Thanks for your reply Gitano, that was very helpful.

Would anyone be able to suggest a layer or someone in spain I could contact to go over this with?

Posted: 25 August 2007 02:28 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  85
Joined  2007-05-18

Do not use ana bogado or lawyer they will charge more.
You need ana sesor fiscal to do your tax return in Spain. They will ask you for all the information needed including tax paid in other countries.

Signature 

Chris
http://www.freeadsspain.com