Met with the Consulate!!!
Posted: 30 June 2012 04:24 AM  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  34
Joined  2012-04-23

Yesterday I flew to New York City for my 15 minute meeting at the Spanish Consulate to meet with and present my documents for a residency visa for Spain.  It was a nightmare of a day but the Consulate experience went very smoothly.  I was interviewed by the Consulate General with whom I’ve been emailing these past few months to clarify issues unclear on their website.  He greeted me warmly and we proceeded with my presentation.  I had all the necessary documentation, and then some, and he was very appreciative.  He told me it would take about three months for me to hear back from them on whether or not the Governor of Malaga approved my application.  He personally had no doubts but reminded me it was out of his control.  I thanked him for his kindness and putting up with me these past few months and we shook hands and he said he’d see me soon.

So, now, the REAL waiting begins…

Mike Rutledge

Posted: 30 June 2012 04:46 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  818
Joined  2006-06-15

Good Luck Mike. Fingers crossed.

fb

Signature 

Help desperately needed

https://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Posted: 09 September 2012 11:41 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Joined  2012-04-23

Hi all…

Been a while since I’ve been on so let me update…I heard from the consulate and they said I should be getting my visa within the next few weeks.  I have since been over to Spain to check out the housing situation…I placed an advert in The Sur and boy, what responses I got…so many that I had to go over and check them out.  I got a lovely villa in La Capellania in Fuengirola that is exactly what I was hoping for…2bdrms/baths…furnished, a/c, internet, sat tv, but still old style Spain.  It has a pool, but I’m just off the beach so who knows how often I’ll be using it.  $850E a month and electricity…much cheaper than I’m paying here in the States…

My flight over on Delta was a disaster…to make a long story short, they upgraded me to First Class on my return flight!!!...only way to fly!!!

I have to buy a car when I arrive in November but I anticipated that and have budgeted for it…

55 days and it’s hasta la vista Estados Unitos!!!

I am so excited to begin my new life in Spain…I’ve met a wonderful woman from Scotland who’s lived there for 27 years and she’s been a very big help…just friends folks!!!!

Hope to see you sometime!!

Mike

Posted: 10 September 2012 12:25 AM   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  818
Joined  2006-06-15

Mike Hi… been a while but good to hear that all is going according to plan.

Just one little point arising from your post and I cant remember if we covered it before but

I have to buy a car when I arrive in November

In order to do this you will need another document called an NIE (numero identificacion extranjero). You can obtain this in advance of your arrival via the embassy or when you arrive via the Extranjeros Office in Fuengirola.

(Av. Condes San Isidro, 98, 29640 - Fuengirola, M?laga, Tel.: 952198360, Tel.: 952198358
(Horario: de Lunes a Viernes de 9.00 A 14.00)

There is of course an application form, downloadable from this address

http://extranjeros.empleo.gob.es/es/ModelosSolicitudes/Mod_solicitudes2/15-Formulario_NIE_y_certificados.pdf

You will need original + 1 copy,
2 passport size photographs
Passport and a copy when making the application.

Did we ever discuss the validity of your US drivers licence? Some states have a reciprocal arrangement with the Spanish government some don’t so its worthwhile checking out. See this from this site…

http://www.spainexpat.com/spain/information/driving_licenses_in_spain/

Spanner in the works? I hope not but best to be forwarned!

fb

Signature 

Help desperately needed

https://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Posted: 10 September 2012 01:07 AM   [ # 4 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Joined  2012-04-23

FB,

Thank’s for the quick response.  I am familiar with the NIE card…I haven’t decided on whether I’m going to get it before I leave or after I arrive…probably before…best to get things accomplished while I can…I noticed a “snails pace” during my visit there…!!!

I obtained an “International Driver’s License” which I used when I rented a car in Malaga…it’s acceptable by the Policia in conjunction with my US Driver’s license if asked for it.

For other’s who may be using this site for info…in case you’re looking for financial transactions for the US/Spain…Citibank has offices in Spain with a branch in Marbella…my checks are being deposited in my US account and will be transfered into my Spanish account that I will open once I arrive in Spain permanently.  There is no “foreign transaction fee” required.  Your debit card works in the local ATM’s…it’s a “no brainer” for US citizens.

Whoever suggested from the start that I start a “blog” was right…the “red tape” has been phenomenal…you cannot obtain the necessary information from the obvious websites…it continues to be a work in progress…

Mike