Living in Spain health insurance considerations for US expats
Posted: 29 July 2012 11:16 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2012-07-29

My wife and I are approaching early retirement, and talking about the possibility of living in Spain for a few years in our early sixties.  Most posters I have seen here, are from the UK.  We are in the US, and that gives us a different problem.  My wife and I are both in generally pretty good health, but we both have pre-existing conditions.  It’s our medical history, not our current health situation that is the problem.  In the US, that means we must work until 65, just to be covered by group medical insurance, even though financially we could afford to retire at 62.  We have thought that the idea of living in Spain and using it as a base to travel in Europe sounds exciting.  But we need information.  I know we would not qualify for the Spanish national health insurance plan.  And I don’t believe that we even have the option to buy in.  Correct me if I’m wrong.  That leaves private insurance.  Now, for all I know, private insurers in Europe could also deny us for pre-existing conditions.  I just don’t know.  Can anybody enlighten me on this?  I also don’t know what the possibilities are to gain permission to live in Spain for more than a year, but not permanently.  Our intention would be to return to the US when we are both 65.

I would appreciate any information.

Thomas