Should I come back?
Posted: 26 August 2012 09:50 PM  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2010-08-18

Hola.

I left Spain a couple of months ago, but seriously after spending 2 months in the UK where it’s done nothing but rain I’m seriously thinking of perhaps going back to Spain.

I know there’s basically no work in Spain and it’s near impossible to make money over there - during my time there I was ‘living on the poverty line’. But, my prospects in the UK are also bleak - and made worse by the fact that it’s just so cold and miserable here and this is supposed to still be summer.

I was doing a bit of EFL Teaching in Spain (as almost everybody else seems to be doing) - a job that’s basically impossible to find in the UK (especially outside Londres). September is just around the corner - so I’d better get my act together soon.

I don’t known what to do. Any thoughts?

Also it would be interesting to hear from anyone who has recently returned to the UK, or recently left.

Gracias.

Posted: 27 August 2012 05:00 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  265
Joined  2011-09-10

Greatescape:

Don’t know where you have been in the U.K. this Summer.  There have been temperatures in the high 20?C and 30?Cs.  And yes, there has been rain too. Guess what.  It’s the U.K. not the Sahara desert.

Only you can decide what yo want to do.  Based on job prospects, your future plans and where you would like to find yourself, economically and personally, in ten years’ time. 
What are your qualifications?  Let’s leave aside the TEFL for the moment.  There is more to life than TEFL teaching. 

A suggestion: get some qualifications in the U.K., think over what you REALLY want to do, what are your talents. and if encessary speak to a career guidance person somewhere.  There are other countries besides Spain, depending on qualifications, if you don’t wish to remain in the U.K.

That is my advice.

Posted: 28 August 2012 07:18 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  51
Joined  2011-09-15

Definitely return to Spain assuming your heart is there -  PROVIDED you can somehow get by.

Concur with Campana on importance of applying some lateral thinking/initiative !!!

Life is too short————-

Good luck,

Andrea

Greatescape - 26 August 2012 09:50 PM

Hola.

I left Spain a couple of months ago, but seriously after spending 2 months in the UK where it’s done nothing but rain I’m seriously thinking of perhaps going back to Spain.

I know there’s basically no work in Spain and it’s near impossible to make money over there - during my time there I was ‘living on the poverty line’. But, my prospects in the UK are also bleak - and made worse by the fact that it’s just so cold and miserable here and this is supposed to still be summer.

I was doing a bit of EFL Teaching in Spain (as almost everybody else seems to be doing) - a job that’s basically impossible to find in the UK (especially outside Londres). September is just around the corner - so I’d better get my act together soon.

I don’t known what to do. Any thoughts?

Also it would be interesting to hear from anyone who has recently returned to the UK, or recently left.

Gracias.

Posted: 28 August 2012 11:23 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2855
Joined  2007-10-19

Biggest problem in spain is Work , like hole off EU , so people dont have money two spend , but when talking about kids the spanish will fine money for english lessons , but you have be the best out there in the area ....

try to do group lesson for english people , how learn spanish .... the money is tight ..... and very one looking for the good deals

Jurdy

Posted: 16 October 2012 02:48 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  682
Joined  2007-11-01

Hi GE, talking from the perspective of someone who has been living here for 12 years, but for the past 6 yrs in difficult (financial) circumstances, I can understand why you HAD to return to UK.
It would not be my choice either…
As for returning here with little/no chance of work/means of supporting yourself, that is the crux.
Possibly look at the Vaughn language school? Only a temporary post, but might get you some contacts/experience for the CV.
Have you tried the travel co’s (from UK end), so at least you could be here during the summer (although as you know it can be scorching hot and not too pleasant to work in!) My first job was as a travel rep with all found (except food/personal items). Low pay, but at least I got something on the CV etc. 

I think Campana is right… if you have the ability to work, then perhaps consider another country (that is not wet and cold 😉  I don’t know where (as IMO all come with red tape.)  But better than being miserable in a climate that does not suit.

Good luck!

Posted: 18 October 2012 01:22 AM   [ # 5 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-09-10

Before anything else, can I say we were born into those climates!  And those countries, England, Ireland and quite a few others are located in that kind of latitude.  And yes, there is often very good weather.  Moving somewhere JUST because of the perceived climate is not IMO a good idea. 
And yes the Summer heat in Spain is quite unbearable, if you are working in it.

At the moment anyhow, I would not encourage anyone to come to Spain seeking work.

Posted: 18 October 2012 05:30 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-01

I have to say on this occasion I conceed with Campana ^

As for being born into cooler climes (and presumably having the hearty bodily robustness to deal with same)... I moved south for several reasons, including SAD syndrome. (No number of ‘light boxes’ helped my plight, and as for taking prozac/other ‘mood enhancing drugs’... forget it…)

However, although I have found a ‘life style conducive to my well being’, being in a foreign country (even if you speak some of the lingo) can be just as hard as being in your homeland, and yes, I too find the summer heat so oppressive I am taking steps to spend 3 months a year somewhere a little cooler. 

There is no easy decision.

Perhaps as we are all individuals and have specific needs.

There was a great thread on another Ex Pat chat room that asked:  ‘If it were not for the sunshine, would you still be in Spain.’

Interesting that 80% + of people said ‘No!’ (Including my partner!!!! But they still refuse to return to the UK as they have memories of being buried under snow & ice for much of the year!!!)

Posted: 18 October 2012 06:26 PM   [ # 7 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-09-10

Susanspain:

I can quite understand someone moving for health reasons, as you have done, to a different type of climate.  Spain in the late Autumn and Winter months is most pleasant. 
Many parts of Spain get very heavy snow and ice in the Winter and early Spring, to a much greater extent than say the U.K.  Likewise, Italy and France, for example.
In fact, snow is rare enough in U.K. and Ireland (and yes there was that bad Winter two winters ago, and I was there for part of it, but it was short-lived).  Otherwise, snow is quite a rarity, and never lasts for months.
Not even in Scandinavia do they have snow and ice for most of the months of the year!!!

I agree that people move to other places for individual needs: family, work, a desire to travel…..
I like Spain, nothing to do with the weather, and after so so many years that is where most of my friends are.  That said, I would have no difficulty in living in another European country.

Interesting that 80% say they would not stay in Spain but for the weather! I can’t imagine living in a country where you liked nothing else about it but its climate.  (not the people, not the customs, not the food, not the scenery, ......).  Strange.

Posted: 18 October 2012 09:58 PM   [ # 8 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-01

Interesting that 80% say they would not stay in Spain but for the weather! I can?t imagine living in a country where you liked nothing else about it but its climate.  (not the people, not the customs, not the food, not the scenery, ......).  Strange.

Campana - I couldn’t agree more! ^  I was quite taken aback (initially, as once I thought about the majority of Brits I have met in my 12 years here, it seemed to add up!)... that many Brits (and other foreign nationalities), come here for the outdoor life style, live in small communities and apart from a few who do actually integrate, are here for the weather/other reasons alone.

It still saddens me that many Ex pats (mainly Brits) also do not bother to learn some of the lingo.
I know it is harder as we get older, but night classes in your home country, access to very cheap classes once here (as long as you are on the padron 😉, and the chance to practice on a Daily basis all around you SHOULD mean more speak at least more than a few words. 
I have a ‘good grasp’ and am always learning, and I can honestly say I feel more respected (and often included - even though I am very different to them in ‘culture’) - by my neighbours/those whom I come into contact with.

I personally still don’t ‘get’ some of the Spanish traits after 12 years of living here. But then why should I, as I am sure they view me with equal confusion - as we are just from different cultures.

I admit the heat does send me running for the hills, and also I do need a ‘fix’ of Brit culture from time to time. But as we are only a short plane ride away, it is not difficult to organize.