WHAT IS BETTER
Posted: 29 December 2007 02:31 PM  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  38
Joined  2007-07-31

Hi wanted some info if possible on which account would be best? When moving over to spain, have a nationwide account in uk but someone told me i would be better with an offshore account. Want to use money from sale of house as a part income while i rent for first year, any info you could give i would be most grateful kind regards

Posted: 29 December 2007 03:32 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  760
Joined  2006-06-27

I think the benefits of having an offshore account (which used to be interest paid without tax deduction and you were supposed to declare it on tax return in the country in which you lived but many people ?forgot?) days have probably now gone in that the offshore banks in Jersey etc were forced by law to now disclose all account holders back in their country of origin. The UK high street big banks have offshore branches (or check internet) and you can see their account offerings and regulations etc.

The benefit of the Nationwide in Spain appears to be that to use their cashpoint card in Spanish cash machines is free of charges as against the other banks who charge 2 - 3% to withdraw cash from UK accounts.

Do the research and see whats best for you - the pound to EURO exchange rate is low at the moment so that might be an issue for you as well. Check out the currency exchange companies when you do move money over they give a better deal.

Signature 

Rob
Best Choice Villas sl
http://www.bcvillas.com
Selling legal property on the Costa Blanca