Refused Installation of SKY
Posted: 01 February 2007 11:37 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2007-02-01

Hi all. I have recently moved to La Manga and rented an apartment for a year. I have the permission of the owner to install sky, so contacted the relevant people. Because my balcony faces in the opposite direction the dish needs to be installed on the roof. Now heres the problem, the caretaker has told me that there is no key for the roof as the company who owns the buildings don’t want the hassle of people going up there. Apparently it is up the committee to let people install dishes on the roof. All good and well, thats fine, except that there is no committee and no one seems to know if and when there will be one. So there you have it, all suggestions/information gratefully accepted, as I do not know how long I can stand Spanish TV. With all due respect, and I apologise in advance, I have never seen so much rubbish on a telly before and I’m not sure if I will last a year here if I am forced to participate in watching it.

Apart from that I am enjoying getting to know the area and look forward to the rest of the year (I hope!)

Thank You

Posted: 14 May 2007 12:25 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2006-10-23

The best interim suggestion is to try a Slingbox, if you or a friend or relative have SKY in the UK, you can connect it to the internet via Slingbox and watch it via your pc anywhere in the world!

http://uk.slingmedia.com/page/home

There is another thread on this too here: http://www.spainexpat.com/spain/forum/viewthread/277/

good luck

Philip

Posted: 14 May 2007 06:05 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  760
Joined  2006-06-27

Hi there, another common problem! I do find it very strange that there is not a community (this is the Spanish term not committee) and yes they would have to agree its installation on what is their building as well. Now TV has become very sophisticated and technical (come on you techies get posting) but there is a way to receive the original soundtrack (usually English/American) for the films that the Spanish broadcast. (Better than nothing in the interim) I understand it does depend on what type of communal TV system has been installed and the setup on your TV. In the meantime get out and about - life in Spain is not all about TV - how many reruns of Dads Army do you want to see!

Signature 

Rob
Best Choice Villas sl
http://www.bcvillas.com
Selling legal property on the Costa Blanca

Posted: 16 May 2007 07:06 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  235
Joined  2007-04-25
ROBI - 14 May 2007 06:05 PM

Hi there, another common problem! I do find it very strange that there is not a community (this is the Spanish term not committee) and yes they would have to agree its installation on what is their building as well. Now TV has become very sophisticated and technical (come on you techies get posting) but there is a way to receive the original soundtrack (usually English/American) for the films that the Spanish broadcast. (Better than nothing in the interim) I understand it does depend on what type of communal TV system has been installed and the setup on your TV. In the meantime get out and about - life in Spain is not all about TV - how many reruns of Dads Army do you want to see!

A friend of mine recently bought a new DVD player/recorder and whilst messing about with it, quite by accident he found he could change movies being broadcast on Spanish digital television to their original language. Obviously far superior to watching it badly dubbed in Spanish that sounds nothing like the “real” actors voices. He was most impressed! If you can get Spanish digital chanels, then it’s probably possible to do this through any digibox or modern video/dvd recorder which can get digital tv. Who knows, it might also work on some of the various US and UK series they broadcast, such as LOST.

PS - Don’t know if anyone’s watched Little Britain in Spanish - the voices “sound” exactly the same!!

Signature 

Visit our website - http://www.granadapropertyreform.com

“Dedicated to making your Spanish house a home”