What happens if I refuse to sign a contract?
Posted: 18 September 2009 02:27 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2009-09-18

Hello,

Hopefully someone can help me, or recommend and English speaking Abogado in Madrid.

The situation is this: I was working in an office of around 30 people until July, when they announced that the office was going to be closed down. They said we would be given redundancy, or offered new roles and the option to accept the new roles or the redundancy. I was (luckily) offered a new role, in a different office that is part oft he same company,  and I accepted.

Since then, those offered new roles have moved out of the centre of Madrid, to Majadahonda, and worked in our new roles, and have been waiting since July for the new contracts. While the role isn’t exactly as offered in day to day work, it has been bearable, with promises of improvement once the initial settling in period is offer. However, now the contract is on the verge of appearing and we have been informed of our job titles and description. The problem now arises, the job title and position I am being given in my contract is significantly lower than the one offered to me when I accepted, and when I mentioned this I was informed that this is my job title, and to stop complaining.

While I don’t want to seem ungrateful, I still have a job, it does mean they will be able to keep me working for at least a year, probably 2, before promoting me to the role I was initially offered. Do I have any rights here, all I have to prove the position initially offered (everything was done verbally) is one email that says I will be working in the role of “job title”.

If I refuse to sign the contract, am I entitled to any redundancy when I leave, or alternatively if I can prove they offered the choice of redundancy or the new role, and I can prove they are not giving me the role offered, am I entitled to redundany on the terms previously offered?

Thanks so much for any help or advice