Moving to Spain
Posted: 07 June 2010 09:16 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2010-06-07

I need some help.  I am moving to Spain in July from Colchester.  I will be staying with family in Marbella.  They have contacted me to ask whether I can take out a full Sky subscription (?48 a month)  here in the Uk, have it installed, and then disconnect all, moving the box and card to Spain by car.  I am giving up the rented property here and the telephone will be disconnected.  My questions are as follows:
1. Will the box and card work in Spain given that the right size dish is in place
2. What are the implications of giving up my address here in the UK
As a pensioner I dont want to be lumbered with a Sky Contract that would be difficult and expensive to get out of IF IT DOES NOT WORK.

Posted: 08 June 2010 11:30 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  104
Joined  2008-07-07
Roncol5 - 07 June 2010 09:16 PM

I need some help.  I am moving to Spain in July from Colchester.  I will be staying with family in Marbella.  They have contacted me to ask whether I can take out a full Sky subscription (?48 a month)  here in the Uk, have it installed, and then disconnect all, moving the box and card to Spain by car.  I am giving up the rented property here and the telephone will be disconnected.  My questions are as follows:
1. Will the box and card work in Spain given that the right size dish is in place
2. What are the implications of giving up my address here in the UK
As a pensioner I dont want to be lumbered with a Sky Contract that would be difficult and expensive to get out of IF IT DOES NOT WORK.

In answer to your questions -
1 - yes - although not all channels will be available 24/7.
2 - technically “fraud” but if they dont know then they cannot do anything.

However, a new sky installation in the UK requires the newly installed equipment to be connected to a UK phone line for 12 months - as the equipment remains Skys for the first 12 months, and the phone line allows them to check their discounted box is still at the address they installed it at and has not been sold on ebay, for example. Even more so now that most Sky installations in the UK have a HD box as standard. You can try it but you may end up being hcarged the full aomunt for the HD box should they not get callbacks from it over the 12 months. Some people say that you can pay a further ?25 ish when booking the install to forgo the telephone requirement…..

Signature 

The Sat And PC Guy
Sky TV in Spain. Costa Banca Satellite TV
Free Business Directory