Pain medication
Posted: 19 October 2010 11:15 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2010-10-19

We are currently living in Portugal but considering a move to Spain mainly because my boyfriend cannot get Algifene here anymore.  It is like darvon or darvocet and he uses it for fibromyalgia.  Tramadol is available but he is allergic to it. Anyone know how hard it is to get a prescription for pain meds in Spain?

Posted: 21 October 2010 09:02 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  682
Joined  2007-11-01

‘Please don’t quote me as gospel on this’....

My Sp DR (Social Security one) had no problem in giving me prescriptions for migraine tabs. Once she was happy that I had had it in UK, plus it kept me from going to see her too often, she was glad to help!
Not sure about your partiuclar drug.  Possibly ask one of the English speaking (or use your Sp if you have good level?) at one of the private hospitals/clinic chains here? Eg Xanit etc… and see if you can get a definitive answer on your particular drug.

‘Is there a Sp doctor in the house?’

They do seem to have a lot of generic drugs here and the drs IMO seem happy to prescribe most things, including what is not available elsewhere. Although, they are changing this policy - i.e Anti-Biotics used to be ‘over the counter’, but are now prescription only.

We have a private pay as you go doc, and I am sure if he thought I needed drug X, he would prescribe it.

Good luck.  (And sympathies for your OH. I have various ailments assocc with pain and it is truly dibilitating!)

Posted: 27 October 2010 12:58 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2010-10-27

Well according to my point of view, I think that Pain medication is an important treatment option for arthritis. There are recognized dosages that are considered safe use of pain medicine.

Signature 

criminal attorney fort lauderdaley