Do I have to buy my airline ticket round trip when I actually move to Spain
Posted: 24 April 2007 10:51 PM  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  44
Joined  2007-02-12

I will be moving to Barcelona in August and I am going to be married to a Spanish citizen shortly after I arrive. So, I will be arriving as a tourist who will then get some sort of residency after the wedding. Do I have to have a round trip ticket to enter the country? I really don’t plan on returning to the US for at least the first year or two.

I checked here on the site in the “Cheap flights” section, but did not see anything pertaining to a one way ticket. Any ideas out there?

Danny

Posted: 26 April 2007 02:37 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  74
Joined  2007-01-25

As far as I know, there is no requirement to have a round-trip ticket when you arrive in Spain.  I very often only book one-way to or from the UK because sometimes I’m not sure exactly how long I will be here, and sometimes I fly here and drive back (or vice versa).

Take another look at the ‘Cheap Flights’ link and you should see somewhere on the form where you select the dates, two buttons for ‘Return’ and ‘One Way’.  Select ‘One Way’ before searching.

Signature 

http://www.cavehomes.com
Amazing Andalucian Properties

Posted: 26 April 2007 03:01 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  44
Joined  2007-02-12

You have already established residency in Spain I assume, and I will arrive as a torist. My boyfreind called the consolate and they told him a torist absolutey must have a round trip ticket.

I have a buddy pass that I don’t want to have to use for the move but it looks as if that will be my best option. I would have prefeered to use the pass for a visit to Hawaii, but I’ll live.

Thanks for your reply and all your great help.

Danny Keele

Posted: 26 April 2007 05:49 AM   [ # 3 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  24
Joined  2007-04-25

Hi I’m a travel agent so I shall try and cover a few things to look into.  Your local TA will be able to confirm this.
As a US citizen you will most definately need proof of onward travel out of the country.  If you purchase a ticket the max you can usually purchase is 10 months, (airlines don’t have systems active for more than that amount of time) close to the 10 month period you can change your ticket by paying a change fee anywhere from 40 $ to 250$ plus extra if the ticket price has gone up.  In some circumstances you may need to show proof that you have the means ( aka$$ ) to provide for your self (meals, accom)during this amount of time. The amount can be lowered if you prove you have a place to stay during your trip( address of friends or fam ).

Good luck.